What Happened with Magnetic Monopoles?

In summary, magnetic monopoles have never been observed, but are theoretically possible. They may explain the quantization of electric charge in the universe.
miketem
Does anyone knows how to explain (both physics and mathematics) why there's no magnetic mono-pole?

Physics news on Phys.org
Physics can alone do that job.

M.F arises cause of angular motion mostly, and the character of angular motion is that from one side it looks like tuning clockwise and the other side anticlockwise.

As a result you get 2 poles.

Similar can be said about a charged particle in leaner motion; from one side its direction is left, from the other its right.

They are not ruled out by either.

They just haven't been found yet, or there is some deep, unknown mechanism which prohibits them from existing.

You mean what I've said yet unknown?

dE_logics said:
Physics can alone do that job.

M.F arises cause of angular motion mostly, and the character of angular motion is that from one side it looks like tuning clockwise and the other side anticlockwise.

As a result you get 2 poles.

Similar can be said about a charged particle in leaner motion; from one side its direction is left, from the other its right.
What i mean is: compare with the charge (Q), which is can isolate to mono-pole ( +Q or -Q ), and we can interpret each behavior separately.

I recall hearing about Louis Alvarez (Nobel Lauriate) grinding up meteorites found in Antartica and making marbles out of them, and spinning them inside toroidal solenoids using compressed air to search for a dc current in the coil. No luck.

dE_logics said:
You mean what I've said yet unknown?

You are referring to magnetic fields that arise due to some electrical current. as a result, the magnetic field lines are closed and you always end up with a dipole. It is, however, also possible (at least on a theoretical basis) to constitute a particle which produces a radial magnetic field. Such a field cannot possibly be generated by a dipole source. The source is in fact a monopole.

miketem said:
What i mean is: compare with the charge (Q), which is can isolate to mono-pole ( +Q or -Q ), and we can interpret each behavior separately.

Magnitude is not the reason here.

xepma said:
You are referring to magnetic fields that arise due to some electrical current.

Sorta, but I considered spin too (with an electron).

I believe there are some possible hypotheses regarding magnetic monoples at the origin of the universe...I can't recall the brief commentary I have seen but my recollection is that it was speculative..certainly nothing is known for sure nor experimentally verified...

Wiki has a nice write up at

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_monopoles
" Dirac showed that if magnetic monopoles exist, then that would explain the quantization of electric charge in the universe..."

"These theories are not necessarily inconsistent with the experimental evidence: in some models magnetic monopoles are unlikely to be observed, because they are too massive to be created in particle accelerators, and too rare in the universe to wander into a particle detector."

1. What is a magnetic monopole?

A magnetic monopole is a hypothetical particle that would have a single magnetic pole, either north or south, unlike the familiar magnets that have both north and south poles.

2. Do magnetic monopoles exist?

Currently, there is no experimental evidence for the existence of magnetic monopoles in nature. However, some theories in physics suggest their existence, and scientists continue to search for them.

3. How are magnetic monopoles different from regular magnets?

Regular magnets have both a north and south pole, while magnetic monopoles would have only one pole. This means that they can exist independently, unlike regular magnets which always have both poles connected.

4. What is the significance of magnetic monopoles in physics?

Magnetic monopoles would have far-reaching implications in the field of physics. They could help explain various phenomena, such as the quantization of electric charge and the origin of magnetic fields in the universe.

5. Can we create magnetic monopoles in a laboratory?

Scientists have been trying to create magnetic monopoles in a laboratory by using high-energy collisions and creating specific conditions, but so far, they have not been successful. The search for magnetic monopoles continues in various experiments and research projects.