Difference between rolling resistance and tractive force

In summary, rolling resistance is what helps a wheel roll as long as you apply torque. It is in opposite to direction of wheel spin.
R Power said:
It was just simple what i asked in the beginning but u made it this thread too long due to misconceptions(e.g action reaction and friction forces are different force pairs) and u also gave wrong directions of tractive force and RR. Please don't mind.
Cool. People can misunderstand your question. Happens all the time. And what if the thread gets too long? The end result is we need to understand the concept clearly.

1.Does friction due to tractive force helps in stopping the wheel apart from RR?
Tractive force's nature is frictional. Generally we refer Tractive force as the one that makes the vehicle accelerate. (though the same friction helps the vehicle to decelerate too. Its all semantics) Even if the engine stops giving power to the wheels, its the combined effect of internal friction, air resistance, gradient resistance and rolling resistance at the wheels that will bring the vehicle to rest. Not the tractive force.
2.Why direction of RR is in backward direction? Since it generates an anti spin torque due to displacement of normal reaction as a result of tyre deformation so direction of RR should be forward same as that of tractive force.
Torque decelerating the tire's rotation needn't always be due to a force in the forward direction. It can also be in the vertical direction. Its the normal force that contributes to the resistive moment. Thats why i said in one of my posts above that in a frictionless surface, rolling resistance moment cannot reduce the velocity of the vehicle *much* as the horizontal component of the normal force is negligibly less. Rolling resistance involves loss of energy due to hysteresis but deceleration of the vehicle due to friction. Just like kinetic friction at the brake pads produces an energy loss at the wheels and static friction brings about deceleration of the vehicle during normal braking.

3.How to calculate it. I mean friction due to tractive force= u N
then what is RR=?
refer:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rolling_resistance#Physical_formula

Physics news on Phys.org
1. clear o.k.
2. Unclear
Imagine wheel rotates in clockwise direction
U say that RR is due to normal component basically due displacement of normal component. So, normal component is displaced a bit forward(in the direction of motion), so as to provide an anti spin torque and also because tyre deforms at the front where it first pushes the ground. So this torque will be in upward direction (as displaced normal force) which will be opposite to wheel rotation, then how can it's direction be backward which is clockwise (i.e direction of wheel rotation).
3. Clear

BTW u r from India i guess! Me too!

So this torque will be in upward direction (as displaced normal force) which will be opposite to wheel rotation, then how can it's direction be backward which is clockwise (i.e direction of wheel rotation).
Answer this question. When we apply brakes, what is the flow of processes that end up in decelerating the vehicle?
Ya i am from India. :)

When we apply brakes friction is produced between brake shoe surface and tyre which gives an anti spin torque to decelerate.
All the kinetic energy of wheel gets converted into heat energy.

<h2>What is rolling resistance?</h2><p>Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of a rolling object, such as a wheel or tire, on a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on.</p><h2>What is tractive force?</h2><p>Tractive force is the force that is applied to an object to move it forward. It is typically used to describe the force that is generated by a vehicle's engine to propel it forward.</p><h2>What is the difference between rolling resistance and tractive force?</h2><p>The main difference between rolling resistance and tractive force is that rolling resistance is a force that opposes motion, while tractive force is a force that causes motion. Rolling resistance is a resistance force, while tractive force is a driving force.</p><h2>How do rolling resistance and tractive force affect each other?</h2><p>Rolling resistance and tractive force are inversely related. This means that as rolling resistance increases, tractive force must also increase to maintain the same speed. This is because the force needed to overcome rolling resistance is subtracted from the available tractive force, resulting in a decrease in net force available to move the object forward.</p><h2>What factors affect rolling resistance and tractive force?</h2><p>Several factors can affect rolling resistance and tractive force, such as the weight of the object, the type of surface it is rolling on, and the design and condition of the object's wheels or tires. In general, rougher surfaces and heavier objects will result in higher rolling resistance and require more tractive force to move forward.</p>

What is rolling resistance?

Rolling resistance is the force that opposes the motion of a rolling object, such as a wheel or tire, on a surface. It is caused by the deformation of the object and the friction between the object and the surface it is rolling on.

What is tractive force?

Tractive force is the force that is applied to an object to move it forward. It is typically used to describe the force that is generated by a vehicle's engine to propel it forward.

What is the difference between rolling resistance and tractive force?

The main difference between rolling resistance and tractive force is that rolling resistance is a force that opposes motion, while tractive force is a force that causes motion. Rolling resistance is a resistance force, while tractive force is a driving force.

How do rolling resistance and tractive force affect each other?

Rolling resistance and tractive force are inversely related. This means that as rolling resistance increases, tractive force must also increase to maintain the same speed. This is because the force needed to overcome rolling resistance is subtracted from the available tractive force, resulting in a decrease in net force available to move the object forward.

What factors affect rolling resistance and tractive force?

Several factors can affect rolling resistance and tractive force, such as the weight of the object, the type of surface it is rolling on, and the design and condition of the object's wheels or tires. In general, rougher surfaces and heavier objects will result in higher rolling resistance and require more tractive force to move forward.