Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering in a Potential Field

In summary, the general formula for small angle scattering is given by ds=absolute value(dp/dt)*(p(t)/t)*do, where do is the solid angle. To use this formula, we need to calculate p(t) using the formula: t=-(2p/mv^2)*(integrate from 0 to infinity) (dU/dr)(dr/sqrt(r^2 - p^2)). To solve the integral, we can use the substitution u = sqrt(r^2 - p^2) and approximate sqrt(r^2 -p^2) as r since we are only interested in small-angle scattering. This will simplify the expression for t and make the integral easier to solve.
jameson2

Homework Statement

Find the differential cross-section for small-angle scattering in a field
U(r)=a/sqrt(b^2 + r^2)

Homework Equations

(let p be the greek letter ro, s be sigma, t be theeta)
the general formula for small angle scattering is:
Equation 1: ds=absolute value(dp/dt)*(p(t)/t)*do where do is the solid angle.
To be able to use this formula, need p(t), which comes from the formula:
Equation 2: t=-(2p/mv^2)*(integrate from p to infinity) (dU/dr)(dr/sqrt(r^2 - p^2))
where v is the velocity at infinity.

The Attempt at a Solution

Using equation 2, by substituting in for dU/dr, I get:
t= -(2p/mv^2)*(int from p to infinity) (-0.5*2ra/(b^2 +r^2)^(3/2))(dr/sqrt(r^2 - p^2))
tidying up a bit:

t= (2pa/mv^2)*(int from p to infinity) [r*dr]/[((b^2 +r^2)^(3/2))(sqrt(r^2 - p^2))]

I think I'm right so far, but I'm stumped here when it comes to evaluating the integral. I basically don't know what substitution to use.

Physics news on Phys.org

Thank you for your post and for your interest in small-angle scattering. Let me start by saying that your attempt at a solution is on the right track, but there are a few things that can be improved upon.

Firstly, in Equation 2, the integral should go from 0 to infinity, not from p to infinity. This is because the potential U(r) is defined for all values of r, not just for r greater than p.

Secondly, in the integral, you can use the substitution u = sqrt(r^2 - p^2) to simplify the expression. This will transform the integral into one that is easier to solve.

Lastly, once you have obtained an expression for t, you can substitute it into Equation 1 to get the differential cross-section ds. However, there is also a simplification that can be made here. Since we are only interested in small-angle scattering, we can assume that p is small compared to r. This means that we can approximate sqrt(r^2 - p^2) as r. This will simplify the expression for t and make the integral easier to solve.

I hope this helps and good luck with your calculations.

1. What is the Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering in a Potential Field?

The Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering in a Potential Field is a measure of the probability of a particle scattering at a particular angle in a given potential field. It is used to study the interactions between particles and their environment.

2. How is the Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering calculated?

The Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering is calculated using the scattering amplitude and the scattering potential. The scattering amplitude is a measure of the strength of the interaction between the particles, while the scattering potential represents the potential field in which the particles are scattered.

3. What does the Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering tell us?

The Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering provides information about the structure and properties of the particles and their interactions with the potential field. It can also be used to determine the size, shape, and composition of particles.

4. Why is the Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering important in scientific research?

The Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering is important in scientific research because it allows us to study the behavior of particles at the microscopic scale. It is used in a variety of fields such as physics, chemistry, and biology to understand the fundamental properties of matter and the forces that govern their interactions.

5. How is the Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering experimentally determined?

The Differential Cross-Section for Small Angle Scattering is experimentally determined by measuring the scattered intensity of particles at different angles and using mathematical equations to calculate the cross-section. This can be done using techniques such as X-ray scattering, neutron scattering, or light scattering.