Zombie PDE Model: Creating a Theoretical Outbreak

• Thread starter Lionheart814
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Model Pde
In summary, the author is trying to come up with a model for a theoretical zombie outbreak and is having trouble with the PDE. If no one knows how to do it this way, then how about in terms of polar coordinates with theta? The Laplacian in polar coordinates is \nabla^2 f= \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}\right)+ \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial \theta^2} If f is circularly symmetric (independent of \theta), this is just\nabla^2 f= \
Lionheart814
Hey guys,

I'm currently taking a Partial Differential Equations class, and for one assignment we have to come up with a model for a theoretical zombie outbreak. Well anyways, this is what I have gathered thus far:

- I am defining my u(r,z,t) to be the population density of humans, where r=radius, z=zombies, and t=time.
- There will be a continuous flow in and out of humans out of the boundary.
- I am letting my boundary be a circular region, suppose a 35 meter radius.
- The population density of both zombies and humans is dependent on the radius, r, of the region. For example if you have 100 zombies in a particular radius with 50 humans, if you increase the radius then the population density decreases.

I think I may have my boundary condition where Du/Dr(35,z,t)= flux, since the normal derivative will always be the radius.My Initial condition is u(r,z,0)= u0

Now, the PDE is where I am having trouble, I can't figure out what Du/Dt is (the rate of change of human population density with respect to time).I tried modeling it similar to the heat equation, but that doesn't work since I only have one spatial dimension in r, and no theta. As r changes as does the total density (zombies and humans) and therefore human density.

If no one knows how to do it this way, then how about in terms of polar coordinates with theta?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The Laplacian in polar coordinates is
[tex]\nabla^2 f= \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}\right)+ \frac{1}{r^2}\frac{\partial^2 f}{\partial \theta^2}[/tex]

If f is circularly symmetric (independent of [itex]\theta[/itex]), this is just
[tex]\nabla^2 f= \frac{1}{r}\frac{\partial}{\partial r}\left(r\frac{\partial f}{\partial r}\right)[/tex]

-_____- let's go grab some more beer

i hope this formula helps
dbb551c0e0dbf23c75b37ef11a0a0192.png

then use this

3ea647783b5121989cd87ca3bb558916.png

this is best formula

150px-Circle_Area.svg.png

:shy:

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm sorry, but that is of little help THawk and Red. I do not know who this Laval person is, and I would appreciate that you cease your trolling at once, or face certain consequences by a moderator.

Thank you.

mr lionheart
we're gona send this link to dr. lav

gl~

and i hope this formula helps~

c89ca8d1a8d2b51c3887d7ea7833ff18.png

Last edited by a moderator:
So you are all in the same class? I'm glad I'm not teaching that class. (And so should you be.)

1. What is a "Zombie PDE Model" and how does it work?

A "Zombie PDE Model" is a mathematical model used to simulate a zombie outbreak. It uses Partial Differential Equations (PDEs) to represent the spread of the zombie virus through a population. This model takes into account factors such as population density, virus transmission rate, and zombie mortality rate to predict the spread of the outbreak.

2. What makes the "Zombie PDE Model" different from other zombie outbreak models?

The "Zombie PDE Model" is different from other models because it uses PDEs, which allow for more realistic and complex scenarios to be simulated. This model also takes into account the spatial distribution of the outbreak, making it more accurate in depicting the spread of the virus in a specific area.

3. Can the "Zombie PDE Model" be used in real-world scenarios?

Yes, the "Zombie PDE Model" can be used in real-world scenarios. It has been used to study the potential spread of real-life diseases, such as the Ebola virus, and has also been used to model the potential consequences of a zombie outbreak in a city or town.

4. How accurate is the "Zombie PDE Model" in predicting the outcome of an outbreak?

The accuracy of the "Zombie PDE Model" depends on the data and assumptions used in the model. If the data and assumptions are accurate, the model can provide a realistic prediction of the outcome of an outbreak. However, it is important to note that this model is only a theoretical representation and should not be used as a substitute for real-life data and analysis.

5. Can the "Zombie PDE Model" be used to develop strategies for dealing with a zombie outbreak?

Yes, the "Zombie PDE Model" can be used to develop strategies for dealing with a zombie outbreak. By simulating different scenarios and adjusting variables, researchers can identify the most effective strategies for containing and mitigating the outbreak. However, these strategies should still be tested and implemented with caution in real-life situations.