Are exothermic reactions spontaneous?

In summary, the reaction between 2KOH + H2SO4 -> K2SO4 + 2H2O is exothermic... However, is this reaction spontaneous as well? If so, then why? the concentration that i used was: KOH - 2MH2SO4 - 1M
PhyChemMath
The reaction between
2KOH + H2SO4 -> K2SO4 + 2H2O
is exothermic...

However is this reaction spontaneous as well? If so then why?
the concentration that i used was:
KOH - 2M
H2SO4 - 1M

(I writting a lab report on the "course of this reaction"...spontaniety of the reaction is a part of my observation table...so if the reaction is spontaneous, will it be visible to naked eyes? )

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Hi PhyChemMath, welcome to PF. At constant temperature and pressure, spontaneity is determined by whether the Gibbs free energy change of the reaction is negative. Exothermic processes aren't always spontaneous; consider freezing, which is exothermic but definitely not spontaneous for water at temperatures about 0°C.

hey thanks!
yea i get the gibbs free energy concept but in this case it is the formation of salt...
we titerated KOH(25ml) with H2SO...adding 1ml of H2SO4 each time..

now i get what you are saying about whether not every exothermic reaction being spontaneous .. i didnt really see any visible signs of the reaction being spontaneous..

also if i were to calculate the delta G value i need a delta H value...will the delta H value be the enthalpy of neutralisation? ?

PhyChemMath said:
will the delta H value be the enthalpy of neutralisation?

Yes.

PhyChemMath said:
The reaction between
2KOH + H2SO4 -> K2SO4 + 2H2O
is exothermic...

However is this reaction spontaneous as well? If so then why?
the concentration that i used was:
KOH - 2M
H2SO4 - 1M

(I writting a lab report on the "course of this reaction"...spontaniety of the reaction is a part of my observation table...so if the reaction is spontaneous, will it be visible to naked eyes? )
Spontaneous means that it happens or that it would happen, in those thermodynamic conditions, if catalyzed. Non spontaneous means that it couldn't happen, in those thermodynamic conditions, even if catalyzed.
Spontaneous: DeltaG < 0.
Non spontaneous: DeltaG > 0.
Equilibrium: DeltaG = 0

Examples:
1) H2 + (1/2)O2 --> H2O
is spontaneous at standard conditions, but it doesn't happen, unless you catalyze it (example: a little spark).

2) 2KOH + H2SO4 --> K2SO4 + 2H2O
is spontaneous at standard conditions and it happens without other means. You can infer the fact it happens from temperature increase (for example) because this reaction is exothermic. If you are not convinced, try to use KOH 6M and H2SO4 6M (be careful).

3) 1g of ice at 0°C + 1litre of water at room temperature --> ice melts
is spontaneous and it happens, but it's not exothermic, it's endothermic.

4) Ba(OH)2*8H2O + 2NH4SCN --> Ba(SCN)2 + 2NH3 + 8H2O
is spontaneous and it happens, and it's endothermic at well:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MyAzjSdc3Fc&feature=player_embedded#

5) A dilute solution of NaCl in water( standard conditions) --> NaCl(solid) + H2O is NOT spontaneous and infact it doesn't happen. If it happened it would be exothermic.

1. What is an exothermic reaction?

An exothermic reaction is a type of chemical reaction in which energy is released in the form of heat. This means that the reaction gives off heat to its surroundings, making it feel warm.

2. What is the difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions?

The main difference between exothermic and endothermic reactions is the direction of energy flow. In exothermic reactions, energy is released to the surroundings, while in endothermic reactions, energy is absorbed from the surroundings.

3. Are all exothermic reactions spontaneous?

No, not all exothermic reactions are spontaneous. A reaction is considered spontaneous if it occurs without any external influence and without the input of energy. Some exothermic reactions may require energy input to overcome the activation energy barrier and become spontaneous.

4. Can an exothermic reaction be reversed?

Yes, an exothermic reaction can be reversed under certain conditions. This is known as a reversible reaction, where the products of the reaction can react with each other to form the original reactants. However, this requires strict control of the reaction conditions and is not possible for all exothermic reactions.

5. How can you tell if a reaction is exothermic or endothermic?

A reaction is exothermic if the temperature of the surroundings increases during the reaction. On the other hand, a reaction is endothermic if the temperature of the surroundings decreases during the reaction. This can be observed by using a thermometer or by simply feeling the temperature change in the surroundings.