How to Use a Lever to Lift a 1000 kg Car: Intro to Physics Problem

• Thread starter vedette
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Lever
In summary: A 2nd class lever will have a M.A. of 2. You would set up the lever so the end of the longest board is touching the car and the fulcrum would be the other end of the longest board. The RA would be 3.
vedette
I just started an intro to physics course this semester, and was given the following problem:

You are driving alone one evening and come upon a car accident. A victim is pinned beneath the car, which weights 1000 kg. You are not strong enough to lift the car by yourself and, in a panic, look around for some help. Nearby is a pile of boards and you decide to use a lever to lift the car. Describe how you would use the boards to lift the car. Assume that the longest board is 3 m long. In your answer, identify which class of lever you would use (which one has the highest M.A.?), what the E, R, EA, and RA would be, and what the mechanical advantage is. Use a drawing to illustrate how this lever would be set up.

I realize that this problem is probably ridiculously easy for some people, but I'm having a hard time figuring out how to set it up. I know I need to use a 2nd class lever, because they have the highest M.A. What I'm not sure of is what to use for a fulcrum (presumably another board) and where to set up the fulcrum. I'm not sure if it's possible with the information given, but I think you would have to put the 3 m board under the car, so that part of it extends out past the other side of the car (the resistance). If that's the case, would I just use different numbers for the RA until I came up with a result for Effort that seems like a logical amount of effort that I could exert by myself? I'm really confused, and any help would be appreciated! Thanks!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try to use the longest board possible with the most distance from the end of the board to the fulcrum. You want the biggest lever arm. The max torque will be a force times a distance. You will always give it the max force you can, so the only way to up the torque is to increase the distance of the lever arm.

Thanks for your help with my lever problem - your answer helped me to see the problem more clearly.

1. How do levers work?

Levers work by using a rigid object, such as a bar, to apply a force to a load at a certain distance from a fixed pivot point. This allows for less force to be used to move a heavier load.

2. What is the principle behind levers?

The principle behind levers is based on the law of the lever, which states that the force applied to the lever multiplied by the distance from the pivot point is equal to the force of the load multiplied by its distance from the pivot point.

3. How can I calculate the mechanical advantage of a lever?

The mechanical advantage of a lever can be calculated by dividing the distance from the pivot point to the point of force application by the distance from the pivot point to the point of load application.

4. What is the difference between first, second, and third class levers?

First, second, and third class levers refer to the location of the load, force, and pivot point in relation to each other. In a first class lever, the load and force are on opposite sides of the pivot point. In a second class lever, the load is between the force and the pivot point. In a third class lever, the force is between the load and the pivot point.

5. How can I increase the mechanical advantage of a lever?

The mechanical advantage of a lever can be increased by increasing the distance between the force and the pivot point, or by decreasing the distance between the load and the pivot point. Additionally, using a longer lever can also increase the mechanical advantage.