Is There a Fundamental Limit on Acceleration in the Universe?

In summary, the conversation discusses the concept of a potential acceleration limit in the universe. In classical general relativity, the acceleration of a particle approaching a black hole can surpass any finite bound in a particular coordinate system. However, in a theory of quantum gravity, there is a natural acceleration scale known as the Planck scale. It is uncertain if this sets a maximum on acceleration, as there is currently no theory of quantum gravity. The concept of Novikov coordinates is mentioned as a counterexample to the previous claim about coordinate-independence of the acceleration. The conversation concludes with the acknowledgement that there is no known fundamental limit on acceleration, but this may change with further understanding of quantum gravity.
mXSCNT
The universe has a speed limit (speed of light), does it have an acceleration limit?

Physics news on Phys.org
In classical general relativity, a particle falling into a black hole has an acceleration that surpasses any finite bound as it approaches the singularity. (This acceleration is only defined in a particular coordinate system, but I don't think any coordinate system exists in which the acceleration doesn't grow without bound.)

In a theory of quantum gravity, you have a natural scale called the Planck scale http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planck_scale , and it does provide a natural acceleration scale: (Planck length)/(Planck time)2=5x1051 m/s2. Since we don't have a theory of quantum gravity, I doubt that anyone can say for sure whether this Planck acceleration sets a maximum on the acceleration of any particle.

Last edited:
bcrowell said:
(This acceleration is only defined in a particular coordinate system, but I don't think any coordinate system exists in which the acceleration doesn't grow without bound.)

Novikov coordinates would be a counterexample - an example in which not only the acceleration, but the velocity, of an infalling (any infalling) particle is zero. In Novikov coordinates a fountain of free falling particles particles and their proper time give the coordinates of any event in space-time. Each particle has a constant value of R* attached to it for the radial coordinate - R*, which is determined by the maximum value of the Schwarzscild R coordinate (though it's not identical to make a horrendous calculation slightly less messy). The proper times are all synchronized to the value zero when the particles are at their maximum Schwarzschild R value.

As far as the OP's question goes, I'm not aware of any fundamental limit on acceleration (which I would think of as proper acceleration, I don't see the need to bring coordinates into it when we can measure acceleration without them).

But I don't have anough knowledge about quantum gravity to say if it would change anything.

pervect said:
As far as the OP's question goes, I'm not aware of any fundamental limit on acceleration (which I would think of as proper acceleration, I don't see the need to bring coordinates into it when we can measure acceleration without them).

Good point -- and thanks for pointing out the counterexample to my claim about the coordinate-independence of the diverging coordinate acceleration!

-Ben

1. What is the universe acceleration limit?

The universe acceleration limit is the maximum rate at which the expansion of the universe can increase over time. It is a theoretical limit and is currently not fully understood or proven.

2. How is the universe acceleration limit calculated?

The universe acceleration limit is calculated by using the equations of general relativity and measuring the density and energy content of the universe. It is also influenced by the presence of dark matter and dark energy.

3. Is the universe acceleration limit constant?

No, the universe acceleration limit is not constant. It has changed over time as the universe has expanded and the amount of matter and energy in the universe has changed. It is also affected by the presence of dark matter and dark energy.

4. What would happen if the universe acceleration limit is reached?

If the universe acceleration limit is reached, it would mean that the expansion of the universe is accelerating at its maximum possible rate. This could lead to the eventual separation of galaxies and the end of the universe as we know it.

5. Can the universe acceleration limit be exceeded?

Currently, there is no evidence to suggest that the universe acceleration limit can be exceeded. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible to manipulate dark energy to increase the expansion rate, but this is still a topic of research and debate among scientists.