Classical mechanics text recommendation

In summary, There are two textbooks that are highly recommended for studying classical mechanics with a strong mathematical focus. These are "Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics" by V.I. Arnold and "Classical Mechanics" by Goldstein, Poole, and Safko. The latter is often used as the standard text for graduate level introductory courses in classical mechanics. However, it is important to clarify what is meant by "heavily mathematical based" as this could refer to a specific approach such as using differential geometry.
adriang
I'm looking for a classical mechanics book that is heavily mathematical based, I've looked around a little however I'm lazy and don't want to buy a dud book. any recommendations would be great, thanks. (also i know there's 100000000000threads on text recom's however can't seem to find much ppl asking for heavily mathematical based ones)

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Mathematical Methods of Classical Mechanics - V. I. Arnold

Classical Mechanics - Goldstein (third edition is by Goldstein, Poole and Safko). This is pretty much the standard text for the introductory course in classical mechanics at the graduate level.

adriang said:
I'm looking for a classical mechanics book that is heavily mathematical based

What do you mean by "heavily mathematical based"?

Do you mean texts that use a differential geometry-based approach?

I highly recommend "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor. This textbook is heavily mathematical based and provides a thorough understanding of classical mechanics. It covers topics such as Newtonian mechanics, Lagrangian and Hamiltonian formalism, and rotational dynamics using advanced mathematical concepts. The book also includes numerous examples and problems to help solidify your understanding of the material. I have personally used this textbook in my own studies and have found it to be an excellent resource. I believe it would be a great fit for anyone looking for a heavily mathematical based classical mechanics book.

1. What is classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is a branch of physics that deals with the motion and interaction of physical objects in the macroscopic world using Newton's laws of motion and the principles of conservation of energy and momentum.

2. Why is it important to study classical mechanics?

Classical mechanics is the foundation of all other branches of physics and provides a framework for understanding the behavior of objects at a macroscopic level. It is also the basis for many engineering and technological applications.

3. What are some recommended textbooks for studying classical mechanics?

Some commonly recommended textbooks for classical mechanics include "Classical Mechanics" by John R. Taylor, "Classical Mechanics" by Herbert Goldstein, and "Introduction to Classical Mechanics" by David Morin.

4. What are the key concepts to focus on while studying classical mechanics?

Some key concepts to focus on while studying classical mechanics include Newton's three laws of motion, projectile motion, circular motion, work and energy, and conservation of momentum and energy.

5. Are there any online resources available for learning classical mechanics?

Yes, there are many online resources available for learning classical mechanics, including lecture notes, video lectures, practice problems, and interactive simulations. Some popular resources include Khan Academy, MIT OpenCourseWare, and Coursera.