Is there a 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects?

• Thread starter alpskomleko
  • Start date
  • Tags
    3d Map
In summary, the conversation discusses the curiosity about the distance of stars and objects in the sky, and the search for a map or graphic that displays this information. The mention of an old space strategy game and a planetarium software are also brought up.
alpskomleko
I often look up at the sky and wonder how far away this or that star/object is. I know that most discernible stars are in our neighborhood, but I have a hard time figuring out just how close they are.
Is there a map/graphic that would map all the objects we can see with a naked eye in our nightsky and how far away they are? Some of you may have played an old space strategy game called Ascendancy, where the neighboring systems were displayed like this:

2985279260_bc4892cfc2_o.jpg

Thank you for an answer!

Astronomy news on Phys.org
A little bit off topic:

alpskomleko said:
Some of you may have played an old space strategy game called Ascendancy, where the neighboring systems were displayed like this:

If memory serves me well this way of displaying objects on space dates to - at least - Elite from 1984.

Borek said:
If memory serves me well this way of displaying objects on space dates to - at least - Elite from 1984.

Best. C= game. Ever.

Speedo said:

No.

But there's some truly awesome stuff there. I just spent an hour there, including watching the entire TV show.

What is a 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects?

A 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects is a representation of the stars, planets, and other celestial bodies that can be seen without the use of any optical aids, such as telescopes or binoculars. It shows the positions and distances of these objects in three-dimensional space.

Why is a 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects useful?

A 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects can be useful for navigation, astronomy, and education. It can help people locate and identify specific objects in the night sky and gain a better understanding of their position and relationship to one another.

How is a 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects created?

A 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects is typically created using data from telescopes, satellites, and other astronomical instruments. This data is then processed and visualized using computer software to create a three-dimensional representation of the objects.

Are there any existing 3D maps of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects?

Yes, there are several existing 3D maps of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects, such as the Digital Universe Atlas and the European Space Agency's Gaia mission. These maps are regularly updated with new data and are freely available for public use.

Can I create my own 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects?

Yes, you can create your own 3D map of the naked-eye visible nightsky objects using astronomical data and specialized software. However, this process may require a significant amount of technical knowledge and resources.