Best Pre-Calculus Books for High School Students | Expert Recommendations

In summary: Axler's Precalculus or Axler's Algebra and TrigonometryAxler's Precalculus or Axler's Algebra and Trigonometry
Government$
Hi everyone.
I am a bit bored, so i wanted to renew my knowledge of pre-calculus. I am currently in high school so starting in September we will be doing calculus. So can you recommedn me some good pre-calulus book and also what do you think about "Precalculus a Concise Guide"?

Thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
I like Stewart's precalc text, and IMO Swokowski and Larson are also good. I'm not familiar with the one you mentioned, but you might look on Amazon and see if it's reviewed there.

Axler's Precalculus or Axler's Algebra and Trigonometry

jcw99 said:
Axler's Precalculus or Axler's Algebra and Trigonometry

I am a fan of Axler's Linear Algebra book and wondered what these two more elementary books were like. Have you read them?

I'm just about finished with chapter 1 of the alg/trig book. I can compare it only to a book of the same title written years ago by Rees & Sparks which I worked most of the way through. Axler's book requires a lot more thought than the other one! The odd-numbered exercises are solved by the author, which provides continuity with the text material. After the exercises there are problems, some of which are the 'show that' type; some of these are quite interesting (read challenging for yours truly), none of which have solutions, which is fine with me. At the end of the chapter there are review questions, also with no solutions. The book is about 750 pages, which is quite a bit smaller than some of the other mainstream offerings, especially given the full solutions to the odd exercises. The precalc book is about 600 pages and I did a cross-reference of the tables of contents as best I could and I would say that everything in the precalc book is in the alg/trig book. The alg/trig book seems to have more exercises per each section and it also has a bit more trigonometry and about 60 pages on systems of equations, most of which is not in the other book. Matrices and matrix algebra are there, but I don't see anything on determinants.

The exercises in chapter 1 introduce the Greek letter epsilon in a problem with absolute values, inequalities, sets, and intervals; seems like precalculus to me!

Thanks for the quick review.
jcw99 said:
The precalc book is about 600 pages and I did a cross-reference of the tables of contents as best I could and I would say that everything in the precalc book is in the alg/trig book.

Interesting. I would have thought there would be a bit more in the precalc book. I am sure it is mostly a marketing move to have 2 separate books, though...

bumping this because I am looking for a rigourous precalculus book as well. I'm taking calculus next semester and my math is weak! I want to master pre-calculus concepts and also get familiar with proofs. I have over a month break coming up where I can devote ~8 hours per day to studying so hopefully I can make some serious progress before jumping into calc

Axler sounds really good but I am wondering if I should get precalculus or algebra and trigonometry?

Edit: How is this guy's advice?

khemix said:
Go with the rigorous ones. You can easily learn precalc in class. Most students don't even use textbooks when learning precalc, it is that shallow. You will get hit hard in college if you don't know how to write proofs, and as it is a difficult skill to develop, you would do wonders starting out now. University will ASSUME you can write basic proofs at the level of geometry or basic number theory (see Niven).

I am not familiar with any of your books except Alendeofer. Your free time should be spent on developing proof skills if you intend to pursue a math major. School will prepare you in terms of calculation and technique. Other titles I recommend at your level are as follows:

How to Prove It - Velleman
Numbers: Rational and Irrational - Niven
Trigonometry - Gelfand
Geometry Revisited - Coexeter

that sounds like what I'm looking for but there is no algebra book there...

Last edited:
^bumping this. Pls help i have asked this question everywhere!

What is the importance of having a good pre-calculus book for high school students?

A good pre-calculus book is crucial for high school students as it provides a solid foundation for higher level math courses. It covers important topics such as functions, equations, and graphing, which are essential for understanding calculus. A good pre-calculus book also helps students to develop critical thinking and problem-solving skills that are necessary for success in advanced math courses.

What are the key factors to consider when choosing a pre-calculus book for high school students?

When choosing a pre-calculus book for high school students, it is important to consider factors such as the level of difficulty, the clarity of explanations, and the relevance of the content to the curriculum. The book should also have plenty of practice problems and examples to help students reinforce their understanding of the concepts.

How do expert recommendations help in selecting the best pre-calculus book for high school students?

Expert recommendations can be helpful in selecting the best pre-calculus book for high school students as they are based on the experience and knowledge of educators and professionals in the field. These recommendations can provide insight into the quality and effectiveness of the book, making it easier for students to choose the right one.

What are some popular pre-calculus books recommended by experts for high school students?

Some popular pre-calculus books recommended by experts for high school students include "Precalculus: Mathematics for Calculus" by James Stewart, "Pre-Calculus Demystified" by Rhonda Huettenmueller, and "Pre-Calculus 2nd Edition" by John Coburn. These books have been praised for their clear explanations, comprehensive coverage of topics, and ample practice problems.

Are there any additional resources that can complement a pre-calculus book for high school students?

Yes, there are many additional resources that can complement a pre-calculus book for high school students, such as online videos, practice quizzes, and interactive tutorials. These resources can provide students with extra practice and help them better understand difficult concepts. It is also helpful to seek guidance from a teacher or tutor when using a pre-calculus book to ensure a thorough understanding of the material.