Calculating how fast a motor can move something in horizontal motion

In summary, the conversation discusses the process of finding out how fast a motor can move an object horizontally. The equation for calculating horsepower is provided, along with the torque and speed of the motor. The conversation also considers the mass of the object and the assumption that all work will equal kinetic energy. The possibility of drag and friction limiting the velocity is also discussed.
caljuice

Homework Statement

So I need a motor for a project. The motor I'm looking at creates circular motion. I want to make the motor move some object in a horizontal motion but I want to know how fast it can move the object horizontally before getting it. How can I find out how fast the motor can move it?
Motor in mind:
http://www.servodatabase.com/servo/hitec/hs-322"

Sorry if there are unnecessary unit conversions. Seems like engines are explained in imperial units.

Homework Equations

Using this equation to find horsepower = (Torque x Engine speed (rpm)) / 5,252 = Horsepower
Found from:http://www.howstuffworks.com/question622.htm"

Torque for engine = 3.70 kg*cm = 0.03 kg per m = 0.22 lb/ft

speed = 0.15 sec/60° (not really sure what this is? Assuming 60 degrees every .15 sec. So one revolution (360 degrees) = 0.15 sec x 6 = .90 sec. Then rpm = 66.7

Mass of object being rotated =0.2 kg

The Attempt at a Solution

One way I thought of calculating this was converting the torque output to Power then converting power to work then to kinetic energy to velocity.

Horse power = 0.22 * 66.7 /5252 = .0028 horse power

Mechanical horse power = 33,00 lb*ft/min so (0.028 * 33,000)/60s= 1.54 lb*ft =2.09 n*m

I'll assume all work will equal KE. 2.09 J = 0.5 *0.2*v2

V= 4.6m/s.
Does it look right? Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
Think about this: you said 'horizontal' motion. What if anything limits the velocity if you continually apply a certain amount of power to a mass moving horizontally?

BTW on the rhs equation of 'mechanical horse power' the dimension is energy, not power, so I would check that. Always check dimensions on any work you do. Every single term. I find more mistakes I make that way than with any other, by a mile!

rude man said:
Think about this: you said 'horizontal' motion. What if anything limits the velocity if you continually apply a certain amount of power to a mass moving horizontally?

I'm guessing you mean drag and friction? Would it still affect it a lot with the device being so small? I don't think I would be able to calculate it with the information I'd have.

rude man said:
BTW on the rhs equation of 'mechanical horse power' the dimension is energy, not power, so I would check that. Always check dimensions on any work you do. Every single term. I find more mistakes I make that way than with any other, by a mile!

Sorry isn't it in energy already? 2.09 Nm is Joules.

1. How do you calculate the speed of a motor in horizontal motion?

The speed of a motor can be calculated by dividing the distance the motor moves by the time it takes to move that distance. This is known as the average speed and is expressed in meters per second (m/s).

2. What factors affect the speed of a motor in horizontal motion?

The speed of a motor in horizontal motion is affected by several factors, including the power of the motor, the weight of the object being moved, and the friction of the surface the object is being moved on. Other factors such as air resistance and the efficiency of the motor can also impact speed.

3. Can the speed of a motor in horizontal motion be increased?

Yes, the speed of a motor in horizontal motion can be increased by increasing the power of the motor, reducing the weight of the object being moved, and reducing friction on the surface the object is being moved on. Additionally, using more efficient motors and reducing air resistance can also increase the speed.

4. How does the speed of a motor in horizontal motion compare to its rotational speed?

The speed of a motor in horizontal motion is typically lower than its rotational speed. This is because the rotational speed of a motor is measured in revolutions per minute (RPM), while the speed of the motor in horizontal motion is measured in meters per second. The rotational speed of a motor can be converted to its linear speed by multiplying it by the circumference of the motor's pulley or gear.

5. Is there a maximum speed a motor can achieve in horizontal motion?

Yes, there is a maximum speed that a motor can achieve in horizontal motion. This maximum speed is determined by the power and efficiency of the motor, as well as the weight and friction of the object being moved. In some cases, physical limitations such as air resistance may also restrict the maximum speed of a motor in horizontal motion.