Designing an Audio Amplifier Circuit: Tips and Components | Satya

In summary: You also don't need a power supply, just connect the +ve and -ve pins to the amplifier.Thanks for the link. I will be sure to follow it.In summary, you need to connect a microphone to the input of an amplifier and then connect the output of the amplifier to a speaker.
Physicslearner500039
hi all,

i want to design the following circuit. The circuit should listen to the audio and amplify the audio. could somebody provide me the circuit or help to design the circuit like which components shall i take for the audio input, the speakers what i have to select and additional things.

thanks in advance,

regards,
satya

Engineering news on Phys.org
satya77 said:
hi all,

i want to design the following circuit. The circuit should listen to the audio and amplify the audio. could somebody provide me the circuit or help to design the circuit like which components shall i take for the audio input, the speakers what i have to select and additional things.

thanks in advance,

regards,
satya

What do you mean by "Listen"!?

You could have a look at this site to see how it is usually done.

http://www.google.com.au/search?tbm...8l0l37968l15l15l0l4l4l0l496l4113l2-1.7.3l11l0

Where integrated circuits have been used, you would have to check what is usually stocked by your local supplier of electronic parts. Some ICs will be difficult to find, even on Internet.

For a low powered amplifier, the LM386 integrated circuit is usually easy to find and does a good job.
Here is a circuit using one:
http://t2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTYuoLxQEwxLSdKGTH8GiQj_yzkrtHEfgp3C6cQ9GexVYvuDOWAxQ
You may not need the LM741 preamp.

Here is another LM386 circuit:
LM386amp.gif

That circuit came from this page which has several other amplifiers:
http://www.techlib.com/electronics/audioamps.html#LM386

Last edited:
Hi,

Listen i mean to say a microphone as the input and the connecting circuit which would amplify this small signal to a large volume signal. i think i am mixing a lot of terms. finally the summary of my project is like what ever you speak (audio signal) should be taken by a microphone and amplify it many times so that it can be audible to some distance say in another room or like that. i hope you understood.

thanks and regards,
satya

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi vk6kro,

thank you very much for the reply, the circuits are really helpful. Now my only doubt is in the circuit diagram i think the terminal you have shown a circle with a black dot is the input terminal where i need to connect a microphone. if possible can you suggest what type of microphones i can use? iam very much new to audio amplifiers. This clarification would enable me to build the circuit practically and see the output.

thanks in advance,

regards,
satya

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you going to build the circuit?

You can use any mic that you can get easily. The 356 is gain adjustable. The only thing I am concern is the 10K volume control right at the input. I would use a 50K minimum to avoid loading down the mic.

There is only one type of microphone available now. It is called an electret microphone.

These are quite good, but they need a power supply. You just take power from the amplifier +ve voltage via a 4.7K resistor.
The metal case of the microphone is grounded and the 4.7K resistor goes to the other wire of the microphone.
You take the output at this junction.

The LM386 shown in the diagram above is set for maximum gain of about 200. You can get less by putting a resistor in series with the capacitor between pins 1 and 8.

Even at full gain, the microphone probably won't drive the amplifier to full output, but it will be quite loud enough.

Yeah iam planning to build the circuit. i am not sure if i will be successful, but i will give it a try.

thanks and regards,
satya

What is an audio amplifier circuit?

An audio amplifier circuit is an electronic circuit that is designed to increase the strength or amplitude of an audio signal. It takes a low-power audio signal and amplifies it to a level that is suitable for driving speakers or headphones.

What are the components of an audio amplifier circuit?

The components of an audio amplifier circuit typically include transistors, resistors, capacitors, and inductors. Some circuits may also include additional components such as diodes, potentiometers, and transformers.

How does an audio amplifier circuit work?

An audio amplifier circuit works by taking an input audio signal and using it to modulate the current or voltage of an amplifying element, such as a transistor or vacuum tube. This amplified signal is then sent to a load, such as a speaker, to produce sound.

What are the different types of audio amplifier circuits?

There are several types of audio amplifier circuits, including class A, class B, class AB, and class D. Class A amplifiers have the simplest design but are less efficient, while class B, AB, and D amplifiers are more efficient but more complex in design.

What are some common applications of audio amplifier circuits?

Audio amplifier circuits are used in a variety of devices such as radios, televisions, home stereo systems, and musical instruments. They are also used in public address systems, car audio systems, and professional sound equipment.