New memeber. ball trajectory puzzle

In summary, the equation for the height of the ball is incorrect, and the distance it can travel is also incorrect.
charlie'sthe1
hi there, new member and this is a bit off a puzzle to me (this isn't homework its something I am trying to use for a little simulation game haha)

ok so the puzzle involves a ball being projected, i am wanting to find the minumum hight it can travell with the longest distance (does that make sence)

so i started of using suvats
u = 45 (45 sin theta in vertical, 45 cos theta in horizontal)
a (in vertical) = - 9.8
s = ?
t = ?
v = ?

so tried to do a bit of simutationas eqations with the vertical eqation. i reckond that at half the time the ball would be at its greatest, so i put in for t - t=0.5t int the equation s=0.5ut-4.9t^2
i then did a bit of differentation to find a when gradient = 0 and got t and sin theta. made a simulatanios EQ with my horizontal. and got theta = 81.7 DEG
i knew that wasnt right haha

could anybody think of an alternitive way or what i should do? is it solvable even?.. is the Q. understandable? haha (been up a long time)

Physics news on Phys.org
Your equation is incorrect. The height (assuming that it is projected from sy= 0) is given by sy= uyt- 4.9t^2. There is no "0.5" in the first term. The distance traveled (assuming that it is projected from sx= 0) is given by sx= uxt.

With your values, that would be sy= 45cos(theta)- 4.9t^2 and sx= 45sin(theta)t.
If you are asking how far the projectile will go, set sy= 0 and solve for t. Then calculate that sx using that t. Of course, those will depend upon theta. You say "i reckond that at half the time the ball would be at its greatest" is correct if you mean half the time until the ball hits the ground (sy= 0).

If you are trying to calculate the angle that gives the greatest range, find sx depending on theta, then differentiate with respect to theta, set it equal to 0, and solve for theta.

woo hoo it worked (it was 45 DEG... i shouldve know haha )

1. What is the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle"?

The "New member. ball trajectory puzzle" is a physics puzzle game where the player must use their knowledge of ball trajectory and angles to guide a ball through a series of obstacles to reach a target.

2. How do you play the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle"?

To play the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle", the player must use their mouse or touchscreen to adjust the angle and power of the ball's trajectory. They must then release the ball and watch it navigate through the obstacles to reach the target.

3. What skills does the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle" develop?

The "New member. ball trajectory puzzle" helps develop spatial awareness, critical thinking, and problem-solving skills. It also requires the player to have a basic understanding of physics concepts such as angles and trajectory.

4. Are there different levels in the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle"?

Yes, there are usually multiple levels in the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle" that increase in difficulty as the player progresses. These levels may also introduce new obstacles and challenges to keep the game interesting.

5. Can the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle" be played on any device?

Yes, the "New member. ball trajectory puzzle" can be played on most devices with a web browser, including computers, smartphones, and tablets. However, the gameplay may vary depending on the device's screen size and capabilities.