Infinite Sheets of Charge and Conducting Slab

In summary: It's tough learning the ropes without a little help. You have found the potential at P. Now find the potential at S. Then the potential difference is simply V(S) - V(P).In summary, we have two infinite sheets of charge with uniform charge densities, one at x = 0 and the other at x = c = 26 cm. An uncharged conducting slab is placed between the sheets at x = 11 cm to x = 15 cm. The potential difference between point P at (5.5 cm, 0 cm) and point S at (20.5 cm, -15 cm) is equal to the potential at S minus the potential at P, which can be found by solving for
darwin59

Homework Statement

An infinite sheet of charge is located in the y-z plane at x = 0 and has uniform charge denisity σ1 = 0.34 μC/m2. Another infinite sheet of charge with uniform charge density σ2 = -0.14 μC/m2 is located at x = c = 26 cm.. An uncharged infinite conducting slab is placed halfway in between these sheets ( i.e., between x = 11 cm and x = 15 cm). What is V(S) - V(P), the potentital difference between point P and point S, located at (x,y) = (20.5 cm, -15 cm)? (point P is located at (5.5 cm, 0 cm))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved for the left and right side charge density of the conducting slab to be -0.24 μC/m2 and 0.1 μC/m2 respectively. I've also already solved the potential at point P, being 1.492e3 V (or at least I think I have). What I need help with is finding the potential at point S, more specifically the energy field there. The program tells me I'm on the right track but the energy field is not constant from S to P, which I already know, but I can't figure out how to solve for it.

Physics news on Phys.org
darwin59 said:

Homework Statement

An infinite sheet of charge is located in the y-z plane at x = 0 and has uniform charge density σ1 = 0.34 μC/m2. Another infinite sheet of charge with uniform charge density σ2 = -0.14 μC/m2 is located at x = c = 26 cm.. An uncharged infinite conducting slab is placed halfway in between these sheets ( i.e., between x = 11 cm and x = 15 cm). What is V(S) - V(P), the potential difference between point P and point S, located at (x,y) = (20.5 cm, -15 cm)? (point P is located at (5.5 cm, 0 cm))

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I've already solved for the left and right side charge density of the conducting slab to be -0.24 μC/m2 and 0.1 μC/m2 respectively. I've also already solved the potential at point P, being 1.492e3 V (or at least I think I have). What I need help with is finding the potential at point S, more specifically the energy field there. The program tells me I'm on the right track but the energy field is not constant from S to P, which I already know, but I can't figure out how to solve for it.
Hello darwin59. Welcome to PF !

The charge densities on the on either side of the slab have to cancel, i.e., they have to be equal in magnitude & opposite in sign.

The Electric Field between the two sheets of charge and external to the conducting slab is the same as if the slab were not present.

Thanks for the hospitality!

I'm not sure how I didn't try that out, or how exactly I got stuck down the path that the conducting slab should have a net charge, but I got it. Thank you very much SammyS!

You're welcome.

Most of us try to give "newbies" a warm welcome.

I would first like to commend you on your progress in solving this problem. It seems like you have a good understanding of the concepts involved and have made significant progress in finding the potential at point P and the charge density of the conducting slab.

To solve for the potential at point S, we can use the formula for the potential due to an infinite sheet of charge, which is V = σ/2ε0, where σ is the surface charge density and ε0 is the permittivity of free space. Since point S is located at (x,y) = (20.5 cm, -15 cm), it is closer to the negative sheet of charge (located at x = 26 cm) than the positive sheet of charge (located at x = 0). Therefore, we can use the surface charge density of the negative sheet (σ2 = -0.14 μC/m2) to find the potential at point S.

V(S) = σ2/2ε0 = (-0.14 μC/m2)/2ε0 = -7.0e3 V/m

Now, to find the potential difference between points S and P, we can use the formula V(S) - V(P). Plugging in the values, we get:

V(S) - V(P) = (-7.0e3 V/m) - (1.492e3 V) = -8.492e3 V

Therefore, the potential difference between points S and P is -8.492e3 V, meaning that point S is at a lower potential than point P. This makes sense, since point S is closer to the negative sheet of charge, which has a lower potential than the positive sheet of charge.

I hope this helps in solving the problem. Keep up the good work!

1. What are infinite sheets of charge?

Infinite sheets of charge are hypothetical objects with an infinite surface area that have a uniform distribution of electric charge across their surface. They are often used in theoretical physics and electrostatics problems to simplify calculations.

2. How does the electric field behave around an infinite sheet of charge?

The electric field around an infinite sheet of charge is perpendicular to the surface of the sheet and has a constant magnitude. It also decreases with distance from the sheet, but at a slower rate than the electric field around a point charge.

3. What is a conducting slab?

A conducting slab is a material that allows electric charges to move freely through it. This often includes metals and other materials with a high number of mobile electrons. Conducting slabs are used in electrical circuits and can also be used to shield against electric fields.

4. How does a conducting slab affect the electric field of an infinite sheet of charge?

A conducting slab placed near an infinite sheet of charge can change the direction and magnitude of the electric field. The electric field lines will be perpendicular to the surface of the slab and parallel to the surface of the infinite sheet of charge. The electric field will also be stronger near the edges of the slab.

5. Can infinite sheets of charge and conducting slabs exist in the real world?

No, infinite sheets of charge and perfectly conducting materials do not exist in the real world. They are theoretical concepts used to simplify calculations and understand the behavior of electric fields. In reality, all materials have finite size and imperfections that affect their conductive properties.