MATLAB: anti-crossing eigenvalues

In summary, by using an iterative method like the Jacobi method, you can ensure that the initial sorting of eigenvalues will not change as you vary your variable.
phy127
I am solving an eigenvalue problem -- Hamiltonian problem in Quantum Mechanics. The matrix is 8x8 with off-diagonal terms, but some are zero.

It is well known that the eigenvalues of a Hermitian matrix anti-cross as it nears each other. This is very easy see if the matrix have an independent variable.

However, if the matrix have some zero off-diagonal elements, the anti-crossing is lost and some eigenvalues could cross. Then, the problem arises.

Correct me if I'm wrong. When a matrix is diagonalized, MATLAB sorted the eigenvalues. Now, if there is anti-crossing, I have no problem since the initial sorting of eigenvalues will not change as I vary my variable.

If there are eigenvalues that crosses each other, then at the instant there is crossing, the sorting of eigenvalues will be different. Please have a look at my attached image. Look at the yellow and purple lines, at their crossing, the initial sorting of eigenvalues is broken.

QUESTION:
Is there any way such that the initial sorting of eigenvalues, e.g. when my variable is zero, will not change as I vary my variable?
Back in my mind, it should be possible if during the sorting of eigenvalues, in each step, it will consider the previous eigenvalues. The changes are small anyway. But I don't know exactly how to implement it.

Please help! :)

Attachments

• untitled.jpg
    untitled.jpg
    26.4 KB · Views: 551
Physics news on Phys.org
The answer to your question is yes, it is possible to keep the initial sorting of eigenvalues as you vary your variable. The easiest way to do this is to use an iterative method such as the Jacobi iterative method. This method works by successively finding the eigenvalues and eigenvectors of the matrix. In each iteration, the eigenvalues and eigenvectors are re-computed using the current values of the eigenvalues and eigenvectors. This ensures that the sorting of the eigenvalues remains consistent as the matrix changes.

1. What is MATLAB and how is it used in anti-crossing eigenvalues?

MATLAB is a high-level programming language and interactive environment commonly used in scientific and engineering applications. It is often used in the analysis and visualization of data, including anti-crossing eigenvalues.

2. What are anti-crossing eigenvalues?

Anti-crossing eigenvalues are special eigenvalues that occur when two or more quantum states are coupled together. They can be visualized as two intersecting energy curves that repel each other, resulting in a gap between them.

3. How does MATLAB calculate anti-crossing eigenvalues?

MATLAB uses numerical algorithms, such as the diagonalization of matrices, to calculate anti-crossing eigenvalues. These algorithms are based on principles of linear algebra and can handle complex systems with multiple coupled states.

4. Can MATLAB be used to analyze experimental data related to anti-crossing eigenvalues?

Yes, MATLAB has built-in functions and toolboxes specifically designed for data analysis and visualization. These can be used to analyze experimental data related to anti-crossing eigenvalues and extract relevant information.

5. Are there any limitations to using MATLAB for anti-crossing eigenvalue analysis?

Like any software, MATLAB has its limitations. It may not be the most efficient tool for extremely large or complex systems, and the accuracy of results may depend on the specific algorithms used. It is important to carefully choose the appropriate methods and parameters when using MATLAB for anti-crossing eigenvalue analysis.