Gravity on Moon: How Much Weight Can a Person Lift?

In summary, during a conversation, the speaker mentions having a science test and doubts about a homework question. The homework question asks about the weight a person can lift on the Moon compared to the Earth, with the equation being 1/6 of the Earth's gravity. The speaker believes the answer is 360kg, while their teacher says it is 10kg. The speaker asks for clarification on whether a person can hold zero kg at zero gravity.
MoniMini
Hello,
We had a Science test today and just after the test the teacher gave out the
answers to all questions. I had a doubt which I wanted to ask. Hope you can help
me...

Homework Statement

A person can lift 60 kg of weight on the Earth. How much weight will
the respective person be able to lift if he is on the Moon?

a) 6kg b) 10kg c) 360kg d) 60kg

Homework Equations

I have always known that the gravity of the Moon is 5/6 times less than the Earth
i.e. 1/6 of the Earth.

The Attempt at a Solution

So, following the above equation, if a person is able to lift 60kg on Earth he should be
able to lift (60 * 6)kg i.e. 360kg of weight. That's what I think, but according to my teacher
the answer should be 10kg as 60 * 1/6 = 10. I have not asked her doubt yet.

Merci beaucoup!
¬MoniMini

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi MoniMini,:smile:

You are absolutely right. The man can exert F=60*9.8 N force, both on the Earth and on the Moon. That force can balance M=F/(9.8/6)= 6*60 kg mass on the Moon. Ask the teacher if he can hold only a mass of zero kg at zero gravity?

ehild

What is the gravity on the moon?

The gravity on the moon is approximately 1/6th of the gravity on Earth. This means that objects and people on the moon weigh much less than they do on Earth.

How does the gravity on the moon affect a person's weight?

The lower gravity on the moon means that a person's weight is significantly reduced. For example, a person who weighs 150 pounds on Earth would only weigh 25 pounds on the moon.

Can a person lift heavier objects on the moon compared to Earth?

Yes, a person can lift heavier objects on the moon due to the lower gravity. The weight of objects is reduced, making them easier to lift and move.

How does the gravity on the moon impact physical activities?

The lower gravity on the moon means that physical activities require less effort and energy compared to Earth. This can make tasks like walking and running feel different on the moon.

Are there any challenges to living and working in a low-gravity environment like the moon?

Yes, there are challenges to living and working in a low-gravity environment. For example, the human body is designed to function in Earth's gravity, so long-term exposure to low gravity can have negative effects on health. Additionally, tools and equipment designed for use on Earth may not work as effectively on the moon's surface.