Breaking the Speed Limit of Light

In summary, photons on the event horizon of a black hole can potentially exceed the speed of light due to the influence of gravity on time. This has been observed with electromagnetic radiation escaping black holes, but the role of Planck's constant in this process is still being studied. The nature of this energy and its implications are still speculative.
prj45
If I understand it, photons on the event horizon of a black hole can go over the speed of light by the plank constant.

If they do this, what happens to their path through time?

Physics news on Phys.org
I don’t think they go faster then light... as far as I know light is still a constant

Also there path threw time? 1st off when u go the speed of light you are be 2D

2nd when it comes to time... its all perception... time is not a constant and at a black hole there is going to be a lot of random gravity changing the perception of time

Last edited:
prj45 said:
If I understand it, photons on the event horizon of a black hole can go over the speed of light by the plank constant.

Can you clarify what you mean by this?

Why do you even consider that photons have a "path through time" ? Its an interesting question - well IMO :) The proven idea that gravity affects that which does not experience time, in time, seems profoundly mysterious to me!

But this idea that "photons on the event horizon of a black hole can go over the speed of light by the plank constant" does not make sense to me whatsoever.

Simon

it isn't photons that are accelerated faster than c when escaping the event horizon surface of a black hole.

it's only theoretically even electromagnetic radiation, per se.

The gas jets of black holes emit "some" form of radiative energy "faster than c." I hadn't heard that Planck's constant was involved with this, though, personally, I wouldn't be surprised.

Right now astrophysicists are speculating that this energy IS electromagentic because it seems to be traveling through a gas jet very dense with iron and other heavy elements.

All of this is only speculation at this point though, and probably not much worth discussing here at this time.

-ben

What is meant by "Breaking the Speed Limit of Light"?

Breaking the Speed Limit of Light refers to the idea of travelling faster than the speed of light, which is considered to be the ultimate speed limit in our universe according to Einstein's theory of relativity.

Is it possible to break the speed limit of light?

Currently, there is no known way to surpass the speed of light. According to Einstein's theory, an object with mass cannot travel at or faster than the speed of light. However, some theories suggest that it may be possible to manipulate space-time in a way that allows for faster-than-light travel.

What are the consequences of breaking the speed limit of light?

If it were possible to break the speed limit of light, it would have major consequences for our understanding of physics and the laws of the universe. It would also challenge our current understanding of causality, as objects travelling faster than light could theoretically arrive at a destination before they even left their starting point.

Has anyone ever broken the speed limit of light?

No, there is no evidence or scientific proof that anyone has ever broken the speed limit of light. All experiments and observations to date have confirmed that the speed of light is the maximum achievable speed for any object with mass.

What are some potential methods for breaking the speed limit of light?

There are various theories and hypothetical methods that have been proposed for potentially breaking the speed limit of light, such as using wormholes, manipulating space-time, or using exotic particles. However, these are currently only theoretical and have not been proven to be possible.