Carbon fiber spring rates

In summary, the person is seeking help with designing and building a spring that can deflect 2-2.5 inches when a force of 200 pounds falls from 6 feet onto two circles. They need to calculate the appropriate thickness for the spring as they will need to build multiple ones for different weights. They also mention the need for damping in the system to prevent the spring from bouncing the falling body back up.
TORE BACK
Hello this is me first post on here i don't know if this would be the right section but I'm trying to design and build this spring to only deflect 2-2.5 inches the force on it will be 200 pounds falling from 6 feet and coming down on the the two circles. my problem is i need to learn how to calculate what thickness it should be because i have to build a few that will range from 120 to 220 pounds falling from the same height

Any help would be appreciated

Thank you

Tim Russo

Attachments

• Spring.jpg
    Spring.jpg
    12.3 KB · Views: 494
Engineering news on Phys.org
anyone

This is a difficult problem to answer, you'll have to take both the dynamic and static response factors of the beam into account. The analysis will involve looking at the kinetic energy of the falling body, as well as the static position of the body on the spring.

What you haven't mentioned though is how you plan to damp this system, since if the body falls onto the spring and the spring absorbs all of the energy, then in turn it will bounce the body back up. It's a classic undamped spring/mass problem from physics.

1. What is a carbon fiber spring rate?

A carbon fiber spring rate is a measure of the stiffness or resistance of a carbon fiber spring. It is typically expressed in pounds per inch (lb/in) or Newtons per millimeter (N/mm) and is used to determine the amount of force required to compress or extend the spring a certain distance.

2. How is the spring rate of a carbon fiber spring calculated?

The spring rate of a carbon fiber spring is calculated by dividing the change in force by the change in length. It can also be calculated by dividing the modulus of elasticity of the carbon fiber material by the length of the spring and the cross-sectional area.

3. How does the carbon fiber material affect the spring rate?

The carbon fiber material has a major impact on the spring rate. Carbon fiber is known for its high strength and stiffness, which results in a higher spring rate compared to other materials. Its composition and structure also play a role in determining the spring rate.

4. What factors influence the spring rate of a carbon fiber spring?

The spring rate of a carbon fiber spring can be affected by various factors such as the material properties of the carbon fiber, the thickness and size of the spring, and the type of weave or pattern used in the carbon fiber construction. The design and manufacturing process of the spring can also impact its spring rate.

5. Can the spring rate of a carbon fiber spring be adjusted?

Yes, the spring rate of a carbon fiber spring can be adjusted by changing the design, size, or material of the spring. For example, increasing the thickness of the carbon fiber or using a different weave pattern can result in a stiffer spring rate. The length and diameter of the spring can also be adjusted to achieve a desired spring rate.