Commutator SO(3) - what am I doing wrong?

In summary, the commutator of rotations on two orthogonal axes is i * the rotation matrix for the third axis, but when using the inner product function in Maxima, the result has a determinant of zero and is not part of SO(3). This is because the commutation relation applies to the Lie algebra, not the Lie group.
BWV
reading that the commutator of rotations on two orthogonal axes is i * the rotation matrix for the third axis

but if I commute this

\begin{pmatrix}\mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) & -\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) & 0\cr \mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) & \mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) & 0\cr 0 & 0 & 1\end{pmatrix}

with this

\begin{pmatrix}1 & 0 & 0\cr 0 & \mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) & -\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) \cr 0 & \mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) & \mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) \end{pmatrix}

I get (using innerproduct function in Maxima)
\begin{pmatrix}0 & \mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) \,\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) -\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) & -{\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) }^{2}\cr \mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) \,\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) -\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) & 0 & \mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) \,\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) -\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) \cr {\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) }^{2} & \mathrm{cos}\left( \theta\right) \,\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) -\mathrm{sin}\left( \theta\right) & 0\end{pmatrix}

which has a determinant of zero and therefore not part of SO(3)

obviously I am not getting something, but don't see it. Any help is much appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
you are confusing the Lie group and the Lie algebra. The commutation
relation applies to the Lie algebra (ie the generators of the Lie group).

ah, thanks.

1. What is a Commutator SO(3)?

A Commutator SO(3) is a mathematical tool used in group theory to represent the rotation group in three-dimensional space. It is composed of all the possible rotations around the three axes (x, y, and z) that can be performed in three-dimensional space.

2. How is a Commutator SO(3) used in science?

In science, Commutator SO(3) is used to represent the symmetries and transformations of physical systems. It is particularly useful in fields such as quantum mechanics and molecular dynamics, where the understanding of rotations and transformations is crucial.

3. What are the properties of a Commutator SO(3)?

A Commutator SO(3) has several important properties, including closure (the result of combining two rotations is also a rotation), associativity (rotations can be combined in any order), and inverses (every rotation has an inverse rotation).

4. What are some common mistakes when working with a Commutator SO(3)?

One common mistake is not considering the order of rotations, which can lead to incorrect results. Another mistake is assuming that all rotations commute, when in reality, rotations around different axes do not always commute.

5. How can I improve my understanding of a Commutator SO(3)?

To improve your understanding, it is helpful to practice working with different rotations and visualizing their effects in three-dimensional space. Additionally, studying the underlying mathematical principles and properties of SO(3) can also enhance your understanding of Commutator SO(3).