No moon=no tides no tides=no life Is that entirely correct?

In summary, Captured Orbit planets do not have tides because their star's gravity holds them in a specific orbit. Non-captured orbit planets (like Earth) have a minimal amount of tides due to the moon's gravitational pull.
Cyghost
no moon=no tides...no tides=no life... Is that entirely correct??

I was recently discussing origins of early life on our planet, the other person stated that he had read (from Prof Brian Cox I think) that: no moon=no tides...no tides=no life.
Although our moon is the main influence on our tides, aren't our tides also affected by our sun which we orbit. So if a planet doesn't have a moon, it still has tidal influence from their large mass sun, or star it orbits, although obviousy not as interactive as a smaller but closer moon provides. I believe our moon/sun interaction is somewhere around a factor of 2.2, basically producing solar tides about half that of the moons lunar tidal force. Also I would think any other planets in orbit would also influence the tidal movements to a degree.
Would I be correct in assuming the only possible way a planet with liquid oceans could have no, or minimal, tides is if the planet was bound in a "Captured Orbit" just like our moon, which does a full 360 degree rotation, per 1 orbit around our planet ,which is of course why we never view the other side of the moon. So basically, any planet or moon containing liquid ocean, that is in any rotation other then a captured orbit, must have a tidal influence of some degree.
I would have thought that tidal influences are more integretal to life evolution from water to land based life forms, rather then just supporting life itself.
Sorry if I have posted in the wrong section.

Space news on Phys.org

Check out the first few sections here on ocean currents for another interesting perspective...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ocean_currents

This does not necessarily negate anything I saw in the Scientific American article, but offers a complementary description on another vast source of ocean movements.

I wonder how essential tides are, if at all, to ocean currents...how big a role they play.

Thank you both for your prompt replies.
Naty1: from what I understand the Coriolis Effect caused from the Earths rotation is also mainly responsible for oceanic currents.
Simon: Would I be correct in assuming the only possible way a planet with liquid oceans could have no, or minimal, tides is if the planet was bound in a "Captured Orbit" just like our moon, which does a full 360 degree rotation, per 1 orbit around our planet ,which is of course why we never view the other side of the moon. So basically, any planet or moon containing liquid ocean, that is in any rotation other then a captured orbit, must have a tidal influence of some degree.
Thanks.

Also, I'm presuming that a planet in a super large eccentric orbit would be too cold, due to the huge distance from it's source star, to form a liquid ocean surface.

I agree it is difficult to picture how you could get tides on a planet that was tidally locked with a more massive neighbor.

1. What is the connection between the moon and tides?

The moon's gravitational pull is the main factor that causes tides on Earth. As the moon orbits around our planet, it creates a bulge in the Earth's oceans which results in a high tide. The force of the moon's gravity also causes a low tide on the opposite side of the Earth.

2. Is it true that without the moon, there would be no tides?

While the moon plays a significant role in creating tides, it is not the only factor. The sun also has a smaller influence on tides, but it is not as strong as the moon's gravitational pull. Therefore, even without the moon, there would still be tides on Earth.

3. Does the lack of tides mean there would be no life on Earth?

No, the absence of tides would not necessarily mean there would be no life on Earth. Tides do play a crucial role in some ecosystems, such as intertidal zones, but there are many other factors that contribute to the existence of life on our planet.

4. Can tides have a negative impact on life forms?

Tides can have both positive and negative impacts on life forms. While some organisms rely on tides for survival, others can be harmed by extreme tidal changes, such as beach erosion or changes in water temperature and salinity. Overall, tides are a natural and necessary part of our planet's ecosystem.

5. Is it possible for there to be tides on other planets without moons?

Yes, it is possible for there to be tides on other planets without moons. Tides can also be created by the gravitational pull of a nearby planet or even the planet's own rotation. For example, Jupiter's largest moon, Ganymede, creates tides on the gas giant despite not having a moon of its own.