Particle/Antiparticle annihilation

In summary, particle/antiparticle annihilation is a process where a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide and are converted into energy in the form of photons. Any particle and its corresponding antiparticle can undergo annihilation, including electrons and positrons, protons and antiprotons, and quarks and antiquarks. This process differs from regular particle collisions as both particles are completely destroyed and converted into energy. Particle/antiparticle annihilation played a crucial role in the early universe and is responsible for the production of gamma rays. While it can be harnessed to produce energy, the technology is not yet advanced enough for practical use.
mateomy
[tex]
p + \bar{p} \rightarrow W^+ + W^-
[/tex]

I'm just going through various "Is this particle annihilation/decay possible" questions and came across this one...then started thinking...then started over-thinking. Is this possible? It seems because the W bosons are so much more massive than the protons it shouldn't be. But looking through various books and hyperphysics I'm not sure. I'm thinking it's due to conservation of mass/energy but not positive. Where is my thinking going astray?Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: Why do physicists build big particle accelerators?

1. What is particle/antiparticle annihilation?

Particle/antiparticle annihilation is a process in which a particle and its corresponding antiparticle collide and are converted into energy in the form of photons.

2. What particles and antiparticles can undergo annihilation?

Any particle and its corresponding antiparticle can undergo annihilation. This includes electrons and positrons, protons and antiprotons, and quarks and antiquarks.

3. How is particle/antiparticle annihilation different from regular particle collisions?

In regular particle collisions, the particles involved remain intact and may change direction or energy. In particle/antiparticle annihilation, both particles are completely destroyed and converted into energy.

4. What is the significance of particle/antiparticle annihilation in the universe?

Particle/antiparticle annihilation played a crucial role in the early universe during the Big Bang. It is also responsible for the production of gamma rays, which can be observed in astronomical events like supernovae.

5. Can particle/antiparticle annihilation be harnessed for practical use?

Yes, particle/antiparticle annihilation can be harnessed to produce energy. However, the technology is still in its early stages and is currently not a viable source of energy production.