Solar-distilled Water & your health

In summary, distilled water does not contain any contaminants and is healthier than water that is not distilled.
chrtn

What I understand from solar distillation of water process is that the sun's heat causes water to evaporate, separating the water vapor from salt or impurities.

So there's no transfer of contaminants. You can do this on fertilized lawns!

The drinking of distilled water has been both advocated and discouraged (because of the lack of beneficial minerals) for health reasons.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distilled_water

I don't understand why we need minerals in our water.
We get minerals from food. Why we need them in our water?

Last edited by a moderator:
Chemistry news on Phys.org
chrtn said:
I don't understand why we need minerals in our water.
We get minerals from food. Why we need them in our water?

It is a matter of amount - if you DO get enough in the food, it shouldn't matter if they are in the water you drink.

But we evolved drinking water that was not distilled, and that's what our digestive tract is used to work with, so I would not drink distilled water unless in emergency. Just in case.

Distilled water is only suitable for short term use, life raft at sea ect were you have no other sources. Rain water and snow also fall into this category. Mineral water supplies the body with trace elements and minerals/salts, whereas distilled water actively draws and deplete's essential electrolytes from the body which can lead to hyponatremia and heart failure. I know this sounds gross but it may be beneficial to add small amounts of urine [5ml per liter] to your distilled water to maintain better health in an emergency!

In Africa were water is frequently contaminated by dangerous pathogens it is common for people to collect the water in clear plastic bottles. The sealed bottles of water is left in the full influence of the sun for 4 to 6 hours were the UV light is very effective at killing the pathogens. This is known as solar sterilisation and is quite common practice were fuel for fires is scarce.

Last edited:
lets see there is the fluoride in the water supposedly for teeth. what other minerals are there in the sink water. Dont most people buy those filters anyways. If you work in an office, don't you think drink from a water cooler.

I would prefer distilled water over the yellow and cloudy stuff that's in some sinks

I understand that water is an essential component for our bodies and plays a crucial role in maintaining our overall health. The process of solar distillation involves using the sun's heat to evaporate water and then condensing the vapor to produce clean, purified water. This method effectively removes impurities and contaminants, making the water safe for consumption.

In terms of health benefits, the consumption of distilled water has been both advocated and discouraged by different sources. Some argue that the lack of minerals in distilled water may have negative effects on our health. However, it is important to note that while minerals are necessary for our bodies, they are not the only source of these nutrients. We can obtain minerals from a variety of foods, and our bodies are capable of regulating the intake and absorption of these minerals.

Furthermore, the presence of minerals in water is not always beneficial. In some cases, excessive amounts of minerals in water can actually have negative impacts on our health, such as causing kidney stones. Therefore, the argument that distilled water lacks minerals and is therefore not beneficial for our health is not entirely accurate.

In summary, while the consumption of distilled water may not provide additional minerals, it is a safe and effective method of obtaining clean, purified water. Our bodies can obtain minerals from other sources, and the lack of minerals in distilled water does not mean it is not beneficial for our health. I would recommend considering the source and quality of water before making a decision on whether to consume distilled water or not.

1. How does solar-distilled water benefit my health?

Solar-distilled water is free from impurities and contaminants found in regular tap water, making it safe and healthy to drink. It also contains natural electrolytes, such as calcium and magnesium, which are essential for maintaining proper hydration and overall health.

2. Is solar-distilled water better than other types of purified water?

Solar-distilled water is considered one of the purest forms of water as it is produced through the natural process of evaporation and condensation. Other types of purified water may use chemical processes or filters, which can remove beneficial minerals and nutrients from the water.

3. Can solar-distilled water improve my skin and hair health?

Yes, solar-distilled water can improve skin and hair health by providing hydration and nourishment without any added chemicals or impurities. It can also help to balance the skin's pH level, which can improve the overall appearance and health of the skin and hair.

4. Are there any potential risks associated with drinking solar-distilled water?

No, drinking solar-distilled water is generally considered safe for most people. However, it is important to note that solar-distilled water does not contain fluoride, which is essential for maintaining strong teeth. As such, it is recommended to also use fluoride toothpaste and mouthwash to maintain good oral health.

5. Can I use solar-distilled water for cooking and other household purposes?

Yes, solar-distilled water can be used for cooking and other household purposes, such as making coffee or tea, washing fruits and vegetables, and even watering plants. It is free from impurities and chemicals, making it a healthier alternative to tap water for various household tasks.