Mesh with highest resistance?

In summary, the author is trying to build a circuit that is hooked up to a 1.2v NiMH battery and they want as much power as possible to be dissipated as heat across this wire mesh. They want to find an approach to solving this. Based off of reading the specifications here, Brand Name, Part Number, Material Type, Exterior Finish, Size Name, and System of Measurement, the author believes that SS-080-0070-01 is the correct mesh to purchase. This mesh has 304 Stainless Steel exterior finish, 1/8 inch thickness, 19% open area, and 0.007 inch wire diameter.
algar32
I am building a circuit that is hooked up to a 1.2v NiMH battery. I will be using a wire mesh similar to this: https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=sr_pg_...mesh&ie=UTF8&qid=1363133769&tag=pfamazon01-20

Unless there is a better mesh for this application.

I want as much power as possible to be dissipated as heat across this wire mesh? Can you help me find an approach to solving this?

Based off of reading the specifications here (and pasted below):
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B005H3GPS6/?tag=pfamazon01-20

Brand Name
Small Parts

Part Number
SS-080-0070-01

Material Type
304 Stainless Steel

Exterior Finish
Unpolished (Mill)

System of Measurement
Inch

Overall Length
12 inches

Length Tolerance
1/8 inches

Thickness
0.007 inches

Thickness Tolerance
1/16 inches

Width
12 inches

Width Tolerance
1/8 inches

Wire Diameter
0.007 inches

Mesh Opening Size
0.006 inches

Open Area %

Specification Met
ASTM E2016-06

Item Shape
Sheet

Number of Items

Size Name
Mesh Size #80 X 80

There are quite a few variables in the mesh specifications and I was hoping someone could help me determine which ones I can use to determine what mesh I should purchase.

Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:
Engineering news on Phys.org
Generally wire mesh operates at high current and batteries are low current.
Would it be possible to use standard resistors or nichrome wire?
If you would include details of what you are trying to do, someone might be able to help you.

Carl Pugh said:
Generally wire mesh operates at high current and batteries are low current.
Would it be possible to use standard resistors or nichrome wire?
If you would include details of what you are trying to do, someone might be able to help you.

I'm trying to make a heating mesh, similar to that of this mini vape device:
http://www.instructables.com/id/The-Mini-Vape-Pictures/

I just would like to know what mesh design specifications will result in the most heat. Thanks.

Thanks for the suggestion. In that article he actually says he uses: http://www.twpinc.com/wire-mesh/TWPCAT_10/p_325X325TL0014W48T

This seems to have quite similar specifications to the one you posted from mcmaster. I did notice mcmaster does allow you to purchase a small sample, which is a good thing if I end up purchasing from there.

My final question is this:
I know I can copy meshes from others projects, but is there any way for me to learn exactly which specifications of a wire mesh lead to a higher/lower resistance and create a higher/lower amount of heat? From prior research I have learned that a lower wire diameter means higher resistance (which makes sense), but how do the other specifications (i.e % open area, mesh opening size, thickness) affect the resistance of the wire mesh? Thanks.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is the purpose of using a mesh with highest resistance in scientific research?

The purpose of using a mesh with highest resistance in scientific research is to create a barrier that restricts the flow of substances, such as liquids or gases, through the mesh. This allows for controlled experiments and precise measurements to be conducted.

2. How is the resistance of a mesh determined?

The resistance of a mesh is determined by measuring the pressure difference between the two sides of the mesh when a substance is forced through it. The higher the pressure difference, the higher the resistance of the mesh.

3. What factors affect the resistance of a mesh?

The resistance of a mesh can be affected by a variety of factors, including the material and thickness of the mesh, the size and shape of the holes in the mesh, and the type of substance being forced through the mesh.

4. Can the resistance of a mesh be altered?

Yes, the resistance of a mesh can be altered by changing the material, thickness, or hole size of the mesh. Additionally, using multiple layers of mesh or altering the pressure of the substance being forced through the mesh can also impact the resistance.

5. What are some common applications of using a mesh with high resistance?

Meshes with high resistance are commonly used in scientific research for experiments involving filtration, diffusion, and flow control. They are also used in various industries, such as healthcare, environmental testing, and manufacturing, for purposes such as air and water filtration, particle separation, and fluid flow control.

Back