Question on internal resistance.

In summary, the person encountered confusion while applying Kirchoff's Rules to circuits with internal resistance. They attempted to model the resistance using a series resistor connected to an ideal voltage source, but it is unclear if this is the correct approach. They are seeking clarification and asking if the internal resistance can be treated as an external resistance. They have been asked to provide an image for better understanding.
renzbagaporo
I recently encountered circuits with the source having internal resistance, and it became confusing applying Kirchoff's Rules.

What I did is this:

assuming the loop is counter clockwise: -------wire - negative terminal +positive terminal
(conventional flow)

when:
---------- - + ----------------,
I put : +(E- Ir) + (other IR's)

when:
---------- + - ----------------,
I put : -(E- Ir) + (other IR's)

Is what I did correct? Also, can I treat the internal resistance as an external resistance?

Engineering news on Phys.org
renzbagaporo said:
I recently encountered circuits with the source having internal resistance, and it became confusing applying Kirchoff's Rules.

What I did is this:

assuming the loop is counter clockwise: -------wire - negative terminal +positive terminal
(conventional flow)

when:
---------- - + ----------------,
I put : +(E- Ir) + (other IR's)

when:
---------- + - ----------------,
I put : -(E- Ir) + (other IR's)

Is what I did correct? Also, can I treat the internal resistance as an external resistance?

Welcome to the PF.

Unfortunately, the way that you posted your question is very confusing. I will move your thread to the EE forum, and I would like to please ask you to attach an image file of what you are asking.

Source resistance is normally just shown/modeled as a series resistor connected to an ideal voltage source. Nothing more. Please post an attached image of what you are asking. Thank you.

Adding to berkeman's post:

batresist_din.png

That's how you do it.

1. What is internal resistance?

Internal resistance refers to the resistance within a circuit or device that opposes the flow of electric current. It is caused by the materials and components used in the circuit and can affect the overall performance and efficiency of the system.

2. How is internal resistance measured?

Internal resistance is typically measured by using a voltmeter and an ammeter to calculate the voltage drop across a known resistance. The internal resistance can then be calculated using Ohm's Law (R=V/I).

3. What factors affect internal resistance?

Internal resistance can be affected by factors such as the type of material used in the circuit, the temperature of the circuit, and the length and thickness of the wires. Other factors include the number and type of components in the circuit and the condition of the battery or power source.

4. How does internal resistance affect battery life?

The internal resistance of a battery can affect its performance and overall lifespan. As the battery ages, its internal resistance increases, resulting in a decrease in voltage and current output. This can lead to a shorter battery life and reduced efficiency in devices that rely on the battery for power.

5. Can internal resistance be reduced?

While internal resistance cannot be eliminated entirely, it can be reduced by using high-quality materials and components in a circuit, keeping the circuit at a stable temperature, and minimizing the length and thickness of wires. Additionally, regularly replacing aging batteries can help reduce internal resistance and maintain optimal performance.