Measuring AC Voltage from 60V-300V with Microcontroller

In summary, the speaker is trying to measure AC voltage ranging from 60v to 300v using a microcontroller. They have considered using a 220v transformer to step down the voltage, but are concerned about power loss. The source of the voltage is an autotransformer and the speaker wants to implement an automatic electronic tap changer, for which they need to measure the output voltage that can reach up to 300v. They are looking for other solutions to avoid using resistors or building a transformer for 300v. The frequency of the voltage is fixed at 50hz.
asad1111
I want to measure ac voltage raging from 60v to 300v using microcontroller i have figured everything else out except how can i use 220v transformer(to step down the voltage to measure) when input is 300v one solution is to use simple resistors based potential divider to attenuate 300v to 220v but there is too much power loss in resistors and i don't want to build a transformer for 300v any other solutions?

Engineering news on Phys.org
asad1111 said:
I want to measure ac voltage raging from 60v to 300v using microcontroller i have figured everything else out except how can i use 220v transformer(to step down the voltage to measure) when input is 300v one solution is to use simple resistors based potential divider to attenuate 300v to 220v but there is too much power loss in resistors and i don't want to build a transformer for 300v any other solutions?

What is the source of this voltage? What frequency range is involved?

Frequency is fixed 50hz

What is the source of the voltage, and why do you want to measure its amplitude?

source of voltage is autotransformer and i want to implement an automatic electronic tap changer therefore i need to measure its output voltage(which can go to 300v) to automatically change the taps of transformer to regulate the voltage

1. How do you measure AC voltage with a microcontroller?

To measure AC voltage with a microcontroller, you will need to use an analog-to-digital converter (ADC) which can convert the varying voltage into a digital value that can be read by the microcontroller. You will also need to use a voltage divider circuit to scale down the voltage to a range that the microcontroller can handle.

2. What is the range of AC voltage that can be measured with a microcontroller?

The range of AC voltage that can be measured with a microcontroller depends on the specific model and specifications of the microcontroller. However, most microcontrollers can measure AC voltages up to 5V or 3.3V. To measure higher voltages, you will need to use a voltage divider circuit.

3. Can a microcontroller measure both AC and DC voltages?

Yes, some microcontrollers have the capability to measure both AC and DC voltages. However, the method of measurement may differ for each type of voltage. For AC voltages, you will need to use an ADC and voltage divider circuit, while for DC voltages, you can use the built-in ADC of the microcontroller.

4. How accurate is measuring AC voltage with a microcontroller?

The accuracy of measuring AC voltage with a microcontroller depends on several factors such as the accuracy of the ADC, the precision of the voltage divider circuit, and the stability of the power supply. In general, the accuracy can range from a few percentage points to within a few millivolts.

5. What are the potential applications of measuring AC voltage with a microcontroller?

Measuring AC voltage with a microcontroller can be useful in various applications such as power monitoring, energy management, and control systems. It can also be used in electronic devices that require precise voltage readings such as inverters, power supplies, and motor controllers.