Generating a pulse of high frequency and very small duty cycle

In summary, the conversation is about generating a pulse with a precision of 10-50 ns in an ON time and a time period of around 1us. The speaker is looking for ways to achieve this using basic components available in a lab for a school project. The other person suggests using a commercial frequency generator or searching for circuits that can give variable pulse lengths. The possibility of using a crystal oscillator and divider circuit plus glue logic is also mentioned.
akipro
Hey,
I wanted to generate a pulse of ON time of about 10-50 ns and time period of around 1us. Don't know how to get such precision ?

Thanks

Engineering news on Phys.org
Commercial frequency generators can do this. If that is too expensive (or too large, or whatever): Where is the problem with the short duty cycle?

@mfb

I wanted to make it for one of my second year project with basic( generally also cheap) components available in lab.
It could be heplful if you could suggest any method of achieving it.

There are many circuits which can give pulses of variable length. I am sure textbooks, google and other methods to search for them will give results.

akipro said:
Hey,
I wanted to generate a pulse of ON time of about 10-50 ns and time period of around 1us. Don't know how to get such precision ?

Thanks

akipro said:
@mfb

I wanted to make it for one of my second year project with basic( generally also cheap) components available in lab.
It could be heplful if you could suggest any method of achieving it.

Welcome to the PF.

When you say ON time of 10-50ns, does that mean it has to be variable, or you just want a steady pulse with a value somewhere in that range?

If a steady pulse width in that range works, you can just use a simple crystal oscillator and divider circuit plus a little glue logic. Since this is your school project, can you take those hints and describe how it can be done?

1. How can a pulse with high frequency and small duty cycle be generated?

A pulse with high frequency and small duty cycle can be generated using a pulse generator. This device uses electronic circuits to produce a repeating electrical pulse with a specific frequency and duty cycle.

2. What is the purpose of generating a pulse with high frequency and small duty cycle?

This type of pulse is commonly used in applications such as radar systems, wireless communication, and medical equipment. It allows for precise and efficient transmission of information or energy in a short amount of time.

3. Can a pulse with high frequency and small duty cycle be generated manually?

No, it requires specialized equipment such as a pulse generator or a function generator. These devices have the capability to generate precise and repeatable pulses with specific frequency and duty cycle settings.

4. What factors affect the frequency and duty cycle of a generated pulse?

The frequency and duty cycle of a generated pulse can be affected by the input voltage, the type of electronic components used, and the design of the circuit. Additionally, external factors such as temperature and interference can also impact the frequency and duty cycle of the pulse.

5. Are there any safety precautions to consider when generating a pulse with high frequency and small duty cycle?

Yes, the high frequency and short duration of these pulses can create strong electromagnetic fields, which can be hazardous to both humans and electronic devices. It is important to handle and operate the equipment properly and follow safety guidelines to prevent any potential risks.