Reviving Math Club: Help Needed

• Thread starter Imparcticle
  • Start date
In summary: Yeah, me too. Anyway, I think a good way to get people to get interested in math is by doing problems together. I'm pretty good at it, and I think it would be fun to teach people how to do it. In summary, if you want to start a math club at your high school, get some people interested in doing problems together and have them explain them to the rest of the club.
Imparcticle
Math Club help!

The math club at my school essentially has ZERO enthusiasm for math. in fact, there IS no math being done in math club (oh the irony!). I've been trying to
get some math problems of the week going, but no one seems to care except for one or two genuine math happy people like me. Does anyone have any suggestions for activities for a high school math club in need?

thank you!

p.s. HAPPY MATH! HAPPY PHYSICS!

Physics news on Phys.org
Try doing some hands-on stuff, like theorizing about and building a parabolic solar furnace or analyzing various chess puzzles and tours. Lots of fun to be had there with sprinkles of graph theory.

Highschool math club... ugh. You must be at a bigger high school than I was, or else you're just lucky that you have one at all.

Anyways, graph and number theory are always fun. If people aren't interested in doing problems during the meetings, you could get someone to explain a certain interesting problem each time or something (you could take a look at some interesting unsolved problems, even). Here are a couple of fun problems to get you started (which you may or may not already be familiar with):

http://supernet.som.umass.edu/facts/kbridge.html

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3773/is_200409/ai_n9448502

the second one actually has several problems. The classic one is the standard monkey and coconut problem which they present a couple of paragraphs in, but as I said there are a few others that might be fun :smile:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know essentially no math, but I always like looking at stuff about tiling and topography. It's probably a lot more fun if you actually know how to do it. :redface:

Also, your local library may have books by Martin Gardner, which are collections of recreational mathematics articles he wrote for Scientific American. You can get some stimulating ideas from these as well.

My recommendation:

www.claymath.org/millennium/[/URL]

Who knows? Maybe some of you are the next Poincaré or Riemann.

Last edited by a moderator:
When it comes to high school, they are only doing it for extra-curricular garbage, so its not surprising they are doing nothing.

I love it when people think they're good at math, but then fail. :)

Note: Our university can't even start one. We had our first meeting, and they were more concerned about showing the school math majors are cool too. I didn't care much about that, so I lost interest and it seems like everyone else did too.

I would love to start a club that involves work in a special area in mathematics. Since I love Number Theory, I would love to do that, but I wouldn't mind Analysis or Algebra. Unfortunately most people think learning mathematics, that isn't easy, on your own time as silly and wasteful. I am going through a text on Basic Analysis, but I haven't had much time to it. I did go through plenty, and I am almost done. It's just that I am also learning Java on my own time too, and I also have a job. I should be done Analysis within a month or so, and I will continue on in the next level of Analysis, which I'm not quite sure what that is yet.

I would rather do Spivak - Calculus, but I rather do it with others, and have the whole discussion thing. Again, everyone thinks this is stupid.

Last edited:
i had a similar problem with my math team in high school. I was captain, and i was always trying to make things interesting, unfortunately, my efforts were mostly futile. We ended up playing poker a lot with candy, and poker has a lot of math involved. Actually, we played lots of card games, so you can try that, maybe find some useful math stuff and keep it on the table for reference. Really, lame as it sounds, i think the candy is what actually got people interested. I started an astronomy club too, and I'm pretty sure the only reason we had so many members is because we'd lose things to talk about, so i'd drive everyone to the diner for french fries.

Gale17 said:
i had a similar problem with my math team in high school. I was captain, and i was always trying to make things interesting, unfortunately, my efforts were mostly futile. We ended up playing poker a lot with candy, and poker has a lot of math involved. Actually, we played lots of card games, so you can try that, maybe find some useful math stuff and keep it on the table for reference. Really, lame as it sounds, i think the candy is what actually got people interested. I started an astronomy club too, and I'm pretty sure the only reason we had so many members is because we'd lose things to talk about, so i'd drive everyone to the diner for french fries.

So you're one of the nerds who easily gets used?

JasonRox said:
So you're one of the nerds who easily gets used?

hrm... well, i didn't buy the candy or french fries... but the way i figure, at least i was president/captain of two successful clubs at school. Sides, i like poker, candy and french fries too! all i had to do was drive, everyone else paid.

Gale17 said:
i'd drive everyone to the diner for french fries.
Just how many people can you fit on that Harley, anyhow? Was a really small club, or should we be calling the Guinness folks? :biggrin:

Danger said:
Just how many people can you fit on that Harley, anyhow? Was a really small club, or should we be calling the Guinness folks? :biggrin:

I drove my car. which seats 6, (plus a few more depenind on the size of the people and the space in my trunk :tongue2: ) I wouldn't let anyone near my harley!

Motorcycles. :yuck:

Luxury cars. :biggrin:

Lotus Elise. :!)

Gale17 said:
I drove my car. which seats 6, (plus a few more depenind on the size of the people and the space in my trunk :tongue2: )
What? No roof rack?

I suggest that you vary the routine (agenda ?) everyday. One day, you could watch some sections of movies about math and then have a discussion. Another day you can play card games that involve math reasoning. Devote the next day to puzzles (trying the 4-color theorem?). After that assign each member to find out some unsolved number theory problems and present it to the group. Invite Math, Physics, Chemistry, Computer etc. teachers to talk about neat things like fractals and cryptography codes.

Face it, the only reason most of them are there is to make their college applications look nicer. They don't care. They've never cared. And they never will care. Nothing you can do will change that.

franznietzsche said:
Face it, the only reason most of them are there is to make their college applications look nicer. They don't care. They've never cared. And they never will care. Nothing you can do will change that.

thats a bit harsh. the biggest reason they're there is the college app thing... its no the only reason. there are plenty of things that look nice to colleges, they chose a math club for some reason...

Anyways, i was just remembering how much fun we had when we decided to have a bake-sale for the astro club. We were raising money to go to the local planetarium. Everyone had a lot of fun making posters and cookies and stuff, and it was fun to hang out and sell stuff. Its only as much fun as you make it, but we really enjoyed it. Funny thing is, when it came time to spend the money on our trip to the planetarium... no one wanted to go... heh. But whatever, those of us who went liked it.

I don't know what sort of thing you'd need to raise money for for a math club... but I'm sure you can think of something. Money is one of those things people get excited about... and that involves math too. Come up with a goal, have the club run through calculations to figure out like the best way of making the money, and then follow it through. It can be fun, and then you can buy t shirts or a new chalk board, or something eh?

Again...

Face it! It's all about college applications.

The ones who truly love math don't attend math clubs. There at home in the basement learning math, and not playing cards while claiming it involves math.

Playing Cards = Mathematics... my ass.

Hmm...when I was in high school, we didn't exactly have a math club, we had a math league. Kids joined to compete against other schools. It gave it some sort of purpose, and their meetings were intended to prep for the competitions.

I joined a Latin club in high school, but once the teacher advisor killed the toga party idea, enthusiasm dropped quite a bit. :rolleyes:

Other than that, maybe you could start a tutoring program? In a large school, there are always some kids who need tutoring and really would like the help, but can't afford it. If everyone in the club takes turns, you could set up one day a week when tutors will be available after school for anyone who needs help, and you can each just be there one day a month (not too much to ask). Since it's true most of them are there doing it for their college applications, sell them on it that way...it looks really good on your application to list math tutoring.

Thank you all so very much! I should have done this long ago.

Moonbear:
My school has an IB program, and where there is an IB program, there are really nerdy people (which isn't bad). As a result, we have one of the best science olympiad teams(we've been to nationals for 7 consecutive years in a row.), mathletes(won 5 years in a row) and a school wide math league where we compete with other high schools. In particular, my school has been winning the math league every year, except for last year, and it seems like this year too (by the same school). SO, to keep it from happening again, I wanted to start a kind of study/tutoring program where we all come together to study and prepare for the competitions.

The websites everyone suggested are great! I'll bring them up on our next meeting.

I agree with the comments that people join math club so it looks nice on their college apps. But, some people are in it genuinely because they love math.

THANK YOU SOOOOOOOOOOO MUCH!

Imparcticle said:
Thank you all so very much! I should have done this long ago.

Moonbear:
My school has an IB program, and where there is an IB program, there are really nerdy people (which isn't bad).

BULL****

I went through four years with those people and they were as shallow and superficial as any others i have ever met.

I agree with the comments that people join math club so it looks nice on their college apps. But, some people are in it genuinely because they love math.

I have yet to ever meet such a person, even among mathematics majors.

Gale17 said:
thats a bit harsh. the biggest reason they're there is the college app thing... its no the only reason. there are plenty of things that look nice to colleges, they chose a math club for some reason...

If I'm harsh its because these people deserve it.

They chose mathclub because it still fit on the application with all the things they deemed better.

Anyways, i was just remembering how much fun we had when we decided to have a bake-sale for the astro club. We were raising money to go to the local planetarium. Everyone had a lot of fun making posters and cookies and stuff, and it was fun to hang out and sell stuff. Its only as much fun as you make it, but we really enjoyed it. Funny thing is, when it came time to spend the money on our trip to the planetarium... no one wanted to go... heh. But whatever, those of us who went liked it.

Case in point.

JasonRox said:
When it comes to high school, they are only doing it for extra-curricular garbage, so its not surprising they are doing nothing.

I love it when people think they're good at math, but then fail. :)

Note: Our university can't even start one. We had our first meeting, and they were more concerned about showing the school math majors are cool too. I didn't care much about that, so I lost interest and it seems like everyone else did too.

I would love to start a club that involves work in a special area in mathematics. Since I love Number Theory, I would love to do that, but I wouldn't mind Analysis or Algebra. Unfortunately most people think learning mathematics, that isn't easy, on your own time as silly and wasteful. I am going through a text on Basic Analysis, but I haven't had much time to it. I did go through plenty, and I am almost done. It's just that I am also learning Java on my own time too, and I also have a job. I should be done Analysis within a month or so, and I will continue on in the next level of Analysis, which I'm not quite sure what that is yet.

I would rather do Spivak - Calculus, but I rather do it with others, and have the whole discussion thing. Again, everyone thinks this is stupid.

Is loving maths and being good at maths different?

Bladibla said:
Is loving maths and being good at maths different?

In a word, yes.

franznietzsche said:
In a word, yes.

So would you say loving maths without being good at it is 'stupid' and therefore should not be thought of at all?

Bladibla said:
So would you say loving maths without being good at it is 'stupid' and therefore should not be thought of at all?

No, why would i say that?

Loving math is always a good thing. Loving knowledge is always a good thing. Its those who despise and ridicule it, make a mockery of what some of us hold dear, that i have a problem with.

franznietzsche said:
No, why would i say that?

Loving math is always a good thing. Loving knowledge is always a good thing. Its those who despise and ridicule it, make a mockery of what some of us hold dear, that i have a problem with.

The question wasn't intended to ridicule you, sorry. :frown:

Bladibla said:
The question wasn't intended to ridicule you, sorry. :frown:

I didn't think it was.

I was talking about the typical people in high school math clubs that make a mockery of math.

franznietzsche said:
I didn't think it was.

I was talking about the typical people in high school math clubs that make a mockery of math.

:frown: Quite a sad state of affairs, i would say. Although i may not have a right to say this, because unkowingly, i might be one of those people.

Imparcticle said:
The websites everyone suggested are great! I'll bring them up on our next meeting.

In that case, check out Cut-the-Knot. It's an internet recreational mathematics warehouse. :smile:

I have to agree with Franz with one of this comments.

I have yet to meet a Mathematics major that genuinely loves and understand mathematics. I'm still trying to understand what they are doing in the program.

JasonRox said:
I have to agree with Franz with one of this comments.

I have yet to meet a Mathematics major that genuinely loves and understand mathematics. I'm still trying to understand what they are doing in the program.

You're not going to melt for agreeing with me are you ? :tongue:

franznietzsche said:
You're not going to melt for agreeing with me are you ? :tongue:

Never.

Our school use to teach through Spivak in first year... now they don't.

Things are so boring, and I have no motivation to do anything.

I do my own thing, like I mentionned in my post, but that's it. Yes, I would to do some Spivak this summer, but it's not that fun on my own. It's more of a conversational text.

JasonRox said:
I do my own thing, like I mentionned in my post, but that's it. Yes, I would to do some Spivak this summer, but it's not that fun on my own. It's more of a conversational text.

Why not go through it in the Calc&Analysis forum the way Tom is going through Differential Forms in the Tensor Analysis forum ? Although it's not free, it's a book all serious Calc students should be exposed to, and there are many mature mathematicians on this site that would probably love to aid conceptual and theoretical questions and maybe other approaches to problems or add modern commentary.

I'll consider it.

What is the purpose of reviving the Math Club?

The purpose of reviving the Math Club is to provide a space for students who are interested in mathematics to come together and engage in activities and discussions related to the subject. It also aims to promote a love for math and help students improve their skills.

Who can join the Math Club?

Any student who has an interest in math can join the Math Club. It is open to all grade levels and does not require any specific qualifications or prior knowledge.

What kind of activities can members expect from the Math Club?

The Math Club will organize a variety of activities such as problem-solving sessions, math games, guest lectures, and competitions. Members will also have the opportunity to work on math projects and participate in community outreach programs related to math.

Do I need to be good at math to join the Math Club?

No, you do not need to be an expert in math to join the Math Club. The club welcomes students of all levels and aims to help them improve their skills through various activities and discussions.

How can I get involved in reviving the Math Club?

If you are interested in reviving the Math Club, you can reach out to the club advisor or the school administration. You can also gather a group of students who are interested in joining the club and work together to plan and organize activities. Any support or ideas are greatly appreciated!