Satellite Images - Google Maps

• Thread starter Monique
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Images
In summary: I've used arial photos at work, but have gone to Maricopa.gov. for such information.I'm not sure, but it might have something to do with the latitude. The farther north you are, the more green the colors will be.
Monique
Staff Emeritus
Science Advisor
Gold Member
http://maps.google.com/

Don't know how many of you have already used it: still in beta phase, but you can zoom in on any adress and convert it into a satallite image :biggrin: (pretty cool)

Physics news on Phys.org
I have Keyhole, great friggen program. The novelty value is through the roof! You can enter an address and it'll zoom to it. Quality depends on what image they currently have of you. My city is currently at a resolution of 2 feet as of december 2002 or something.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v81/Veto1024/EV20A.jpg [Broken]

Theres my house :P

You can zoom in a lot more... i took that shot a while ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
So much for sun bathing in the back yard in the nude...

Too bad we can't have personal satellites that are cost effective yet :). Ill stick to my dream of building spy airplanes and spying on people that way :D

Pengwuino said:
Too bad we can't have personal satellites that are cost effective yet :). Ill stick to my dream of building spy airplanes and spying on people that way :D
What? The photo capability on cell phones is already a problem...

I was just watching a cool program on the Science Channel about the Stealth, Aurora, and a new plane the government denies exists. I know the use of drones has increased, but I understand these still are very expensive.

SOS2008 said:
So much for sun bathing in the back yard in the nude...
I told you before... I lost your address! If you still want that present, you'd better get onto sending it to me again. :smile:

For some reason I LOOOVE looking at aerial photos. It's so beautiful. I've only been in an airplane one time and it was a wonderful experience.

Ah, twice, round trip that is.

SOS2008 said:
What? The photo capability on cell phones is already a problem...

Yah but i want to follow them around without knowing :D

Pengwuino said:
Yah but i want to follow them around without knowing :D
Just don't tell Danger...he's still using low-technology doggie costumes...

Pengwuino,was that you waveing from the bathroom window? Thought I saw a little hand in that pic.

hypatia said:
Pengwuino,was that you waveing from the bathroom window? Thought I saw a little hand in that pic.
I knew I could count on hypatia to do another hand joke... :rofl:

SOS2008 said:
Just don't tell Danger...he's still using low-technology doggie costumes...
Low-tech, my arse! There are a couple of hundred bucks worth of servos and circuit boards in there.

hypatia said:
Are you sure it was waving? Are you sure it was a hand?

SOS2008 said:
I knew I could count on hypatia to do another hand joke... :rofl:
You still count on your hands? :confused: I'd have thought you'd have a calculator or something by now.

Danger said:
Low-tech, my arse! There are a couple of hundred bucks worth of servos and circuit boards in there.
OMG, I can see the disaster now, a woman with an electric bra...
Danger said:
Are you sure it was waving? Are you sure it was a hand?
Talking about needles in a hay stack, I think there's another hand jo...joke out there somewhere...
Danger said:
You still count on your hands? :confused: I'd have thought you'd have a calculator or something by now.
No...just an abacus, but I might get a slide rule for my birthday. :bugeye:

That is cool as hell! Great link!

Monique said:
http://maps.google.com/ (pretty cool)
Is anyone else starting to suspect that this woman is just an agent provocateur? She keeps starting up these perfectly innocent-sounding threads and then just sits back all smiley and quiet while chaos unfolds around her. :uhh:

Danger said:
Is anyone else starting to suspect that this woman is just an agent provocateur? She keeps starting up these perfectly innocent-sounding threads and then just sits back all smiley and quiet while chaos unfolds around her. :uhh:
Yes, and her cohort Ivan the Instigator.

its my high school
http://1337moose.com/spacephotos/sunrise.JPG [Broken]

my house
http://1337moose.com/spacephotos/mah-house.jpg [Broken]

small part of chicago airport(randomness)
http://1337moose.com/spacephotos/chicagoairport.jpg [Broken]

Last edited by a moderator:
but I don't see any hotdog venders?

hypatia said:
but I don't see any hotdog venders?
Near the Home Depot there is a taco stand, but it's not visible in these views. :tongue: I've used arial photos at work, but have gone to Maricopa.gov. for such information.

Last edited:
That's Ok my parents house is practically impossible to find. I know on the map quest programs it appears about 20 miles off and down the wrong road.

Its funny to go looking around different parts of the world and alook at the overall color scheme. I went to i think toronto and it was really grey and i went to some australian city and things were really red and my neck of the woods things are really green

A while back I was looking at a satellite photo of Africa, and seeing the immensity of the desert in the north versus the forested areas elsewhere really struck me.

1. How often are Google Maps satellite images updated?

Google Maps satellite images are updated on a rolling basis, with some areas being updated more frequently than others. The majority of the images are updated every 1-3 years, but densely populated areas and major cities may be updated more frequently, sometimes as often as every few months.

2. Can I see real-time satellite images on Google Maps?

No, Google Maps does not show real-time satellite images. The images displayed on Google Maps are a combination of current and past images that have been collected and stitched together to create a seamless view of the Earth's surface.

3. How accurate are Google Maps satellite images?

The accuracy of Google Maps satellite images varies depending on the location and the date the images were taken. Generally, the images have a resolution of about 15-20 meters, meaning they can accurately show objects that are at least 15-20 meters in size. However, in some areas, the resolution can be as high as 1 meter.

4. Can I use Google Maps satellite images for research purposes?

Yes, Google Maps satellite images can be used for research purposes. However, it is important to note that the images may not be completely accurate or up-to-date, so it is recommended to cross-reference with other sources and verify the data before using it for scientific research.

5. Are there any privacy concerns with Google Maps satellite images?

There have been some privacy concerns raised about Google Maps satellite images, as they can sometimes capture sensitive or private information. To address these concerns, Google has a process in place for individuals to request that their property be blurred or removed from the images. Additionally, Google has strict policies in place to protect user privacy and ensure that the images are used responsibly.