Accelerating Charges: Classical Theory and Light Radiation

In summary: When an accelerating charge emits light, what we are actually seeing is the oscillation of its electric field. This field becomes light because it is no longer confined to the charge itself. It propagates as a wave through the surrounding space. This wave is then absorbed by anything that it encounters. Electrons are probably the most common objects to absorb light because they have a high electric charge.
dextercioby said:
Creating an electromagnetic field with nonzero Poynting vector means emitting radiation...An electric charge moving with constant velocity emits radiation.

The end.

Daniel.
I just came across this thread. Each statement above is completely wrong.
It is contradicted in several posts in this thread, and by all textbooks.
Radiation must fall off no faster than 1/r^2, and this only occurs if there is acceleration.

Physics news on Phys.org
dextercioby said:
Alright,Pëte.Computing the Poyting vector for a Liénard-Wiechert field generated by a constant velocity moving electric charge,one gets a nonzero result.Ergo,radiation is being emitted.

I'm aware people always ponder about Larmor's formula,but this case must not be excluded.

Daniel.

Yes, but did you integrate the Poynting vector over a sphere containing the charge? This gives you the power. A non-zero result there means it radiates... a non-zero Poynting vector does not. That is what it means for something to radiate... To carry energy out to infinity.

What we are looking for, is a pointing vector whose radial component is inversely proportionate to r^2, so that the limit as r approaches infinity of the Poynting vector integrated over the sphere containing the point charge is not equal to 0. (Note, the area element in the radial direction is given by r^2*sin(t)*dt*dp, where t=theta, p=phi... it makes sense that an inversely proportionate r^2 dependence would give a non-zero result.)

And if you look closely, the Poynting vector given by the E and B fields given by the Lienard-Weichart formula has an inverse dependence on r^4... Thus, the Poynting vector integrated over a sphere containing the charge tends to 0 as r approaches infinity. Thus, it does not radiate.

As for the original question of the thread, maybe it's an if and only if thing. We already know the answer in one direction.. Can we show it the other? I'm unsure, and will certainly ponder over it.

By the way, everyone interested in this stuff, check out chapter 10 of Griffith's Introduction to Electrodynamics... it's great for a high-level introduction. I'm actually studying for an exam on this stuff now... well, back to stuff that will actually be on my exam.

-Tina the Bunny

Hi Everyone

Is it possible to determine the force that a positive test charge experiences when it is released near a stationery/fixed positive charge by simply using Coulomb's law? The positive test charge obviously accelerates non-uniformly but can Coulombs law really be used to determine the force that the stationery point charge exerts on the positive test charge?

Any help would be appreciated and I know that this is kinda a homework question and not really a radiation question but its is related to the topic of this thread.

dextercioby said:
Check out the Liénard-Wiechert potentials and fields in any serious electrodynamics book,J.D.Jackson being the first to turn to.

Daniel.

It's far too complicated in Jackson. Giffiths' Introduction to Electrodynamics gives a far easier to understand derivation