How do magnets affect boiling water?

In summary, the bubbles in a pot of boiling water are formed when the temperature exceeds the boiling point, but as they rise, they shrink and disappear due to the cooler environment. The presence of magnets in the pot can serve as nucleation sites for the bubbles to form.
jammieg
Have you ever watched a pot of water boil? I'll bet you have, but did you notice how the bubbles start off at the bottom in just a few spots as if there were an air leak from the bottom of the pot and they start off really big and then almost instantly reduce in size so small sometimes you can't even see them before floating to the top, isn't that odd? What's going on here, what would cause a bubble to do that, this is no ordinary bubble.

Physics news on Phys.org
The bubble is just water in the gas phase. At the point it is formed, the temperature exceeds the boiling point. But the liquid water above it is still below the boiling point. So as soon as it starts to rise, it shrinks and winks out.

When you say it is water in the gas phase, do you mean it is oxygen and hydrogen gas broken down or just water vaporized to a gaseous form and that it is actually the ascension of the bubble that rapidly cools and this is what accounts for the rapid size shift? The reason I ask is when i put some magnets in the bottom of the pot a curious thing happened I can't explain but all the bubbles formed around the magnets, if the hottest areas give rise to the gaseous bubbles, it would seem that additional magnets would just give greater surface area and be cooler regions of the pot, I don't know about the thermal properties of standard magnets though, odd though isn't it?

jammieg said:
The reason I ask is when i put some magnets in the bottom of the pot a curious thing happened I can't explain but all the bubbles formed around the magnets, if the hottest areas give rise to the gaseous bubbles, it would seem that additional magnets would just give greater surface area and be cooler regions of the pot, I don't know about the thermal properties of standard magnets though, odd though isn't it?

I think the bubbles start at irregularities in the surface of the pot, like scratches or sharp little protuberances. The magnets are likely to hold a lot of dust or other particles that can serve as nucleation sites for the bubbles. Also the magnets may be made of a material that has a coarser surface texture than the pot.

1. How does a pot of boiling water work?

When heat is applied to a pot of water, the water molecules begin to move faster and collide with each other. Eventually, this causes the water to reach its boiling point, at which it turns into vapor and begins to bubble and steam.

2. What is the boiling point of water?

The boiling point of water is 100°C or 212°F at sea level. However, this can vary depending on altitude and atmospheric pressure.

3. Why does a pot of boiling water make a sound?

The sound of boiling water is caused by the bubbles of water vapor rising to the surface and bursting. This is due to the release of energy as the water transitions from a liquid to a gas.

4. How long does it take for a pot of water to boil?

The time it takes for a pot of water to boil depends on several factors, such as the amount of water, the heat source, and the type of pot. Generally, it takes around 5-10 minutes for a pot of water to reach boiling point.

5. Is it safe to drink water from a pot that has been boiled?

Yes, boiling water is an effective way to purify it and make it safe for drinking. Boiling water kills harmful bacteria and viruses that may be present in the water.