Going to graduate school for a non-physics major

In summary, the speaker is a junior who has decided not to pursue a graduate degree in physics and instead wants to get a BS and then go to grad school for forensic science. They are wondering if this is a feasible plan and if there are any opportunities for funding through TA or research positions. They are also seeking advice on what steps to take and if anyone has any knowledge or connections in the field of criminal forensics.
ColdFusion85
I have decided that I do not want to go to grad school for physics. I am a junior, so it is too late to change majors, so I want to get the BS then go to grad school for forensic science (no, I am not following the CSI fad, etc...I am really interested in the field). I was wondering if this is feasible, and what I should do now and what I should prepare for if I want this to happen. Also, does anyone know if I'd be able to get some sort of deal like physics students do where grad school is essentially paid for if you take up a TA or research job?

Physics news on Phys.org
Come on, anyone?

Maybe we don't have anybody here who knows anything about criminal forensics. :uhh:

Unfortunately I don't have any idea about better places to ask.

Yeah, even with the CSI fad, there's still very few people in the field, and you probably won't get much feedback here. Does your school have a forensic science department? If so, I'd recommend that you call them up and meet with someone in their department (preferably an advisor).

1. Can I go to graduate school for a non-physics major?

Yes, it is possible to go to graduate school for a non-physics major. Many graduate programs accept students from a variety of undergraduate backgrounds, as long as they meet the program's admission requirements.

2. Will I be at a disadvantage if I have a non-physics undergraduate degree?

It depends on the graduate program and the specific field of study. Some programs may require prerequisite coursework in physics, while others may offer bridge programs to help students with non-physics backgrounds catch up. It is important to research the specific requirements and offerings of the graduate programs you are interested in.

3. Can I transition to a physics-related field through graduate school?

Yes, graduate school can be a great opportunity to transition to a physics-related field. Many graduate programs offer interdisciplinary or specialized tracks that allow students to build upon their undergraduate knowledge while also gaining skills and expertise in physics.

4. What are the benefits of pursuing a graduate degree in a non-physics field?

Pursuing a graduate degree in a non-physics field can provide a unique perspective and skill set that can be valuable in a variety of industries and careers. It can also open up new opportunities for research and collaboration, as well as offer the chance to specialize in a specific area of interest.

5. How can I prepare for graduate school in a non-physics field?

To prepare for graduate school in a non-physics field, it is important to research and understand the specific requirements and expectations of the programs you are interested in. You may also consider taking relevant coursework or gaining experience in the field through internships or research opportunities. Additionally, building strong relationships with professors and mentors can provide valuable guidance and support throughout the application process.