Programming Binary Addition with a Turing Machine

In summary, the book discusses computer science and how to build a Turing machine. The Turing machine has one tape and one read/write head. It is possible to write a program that adds (modulo two) two binary numbers (assuming they have the same length) separated by a 'blank'. However, I believe the "standard" Turing machine is different from the universal Turing machine. I think it is possible to use one tape with two heads to answer my question.
theophyman
hello,
One can wonder what is the relation between the title of this thread and the subject of quantum mechanics,
well, i was reading in a book about quantum computation and information and it was talking about computer science in some chapter where it shows a basic understanding of Turing machine.
Ok, my question is: how to write a program that adds (modulo two) two binary numbers (assuming that they have the same length) separated by a 'blank' . the turing machine has only one tape and one read/write head.

is it possible?

thank you

Physics news on Phys.org
There are many equivalent definition of what a universal Turing machine is, it could have just one tape, or several. In fact, anything a computer can do, a Turing machine can do as well. The rule of the game is to start from something as rudimentary as possible and progressively build up complexity. Quite frankly, I believe writing such a program is more of a curiosity, possibly with pedagogical value, but again : how is this relevant to quantum mechanics ?

humanino said:
There are many equivalent definition of what a universal Turing machine is, it could have just one tape, or several.

i am new in learning Turing machines, but i think there is a difference between "standard" turing machine and universal turing machine. my question is about the "standard" one.

humanino said:
I believe writing such a program is more of a curiosity, possibly with pedagogical value, but again : how is this relevant to quantum mechanics ?

i can get the answer of my question using one tape with tow heads (is it acceptable?).

humanino said:
how is this relevant to quantum mechanics ?

as i said in my question above, i am learning quantum computation and quantum information,i found the turing machine and universal turing machine in a book about the subject of quantum computation and information.

Found this for ya. Hope it helps your understanding.

http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~awmorp/turingmachine/turing.html

Last edited by a moderator:
mikestampone said:
Found this for ya. Hope it helps your understanding.

http://www.maths.leeds.ac.uk/~awmorp/turingmachine/turing.html

thank you, it was very helpful.

Last edited by a moderator:

1. What is a Turing Machine?

A Turing Machine is a mathematical model that represents a hypothetical machine used to perform computations. It is named after British mathematician Alan Turing and is considered to be the foundation of modern computer science.

2. How does a Turing Machine work?

A Turing Machine consists of a tape, a head, and a set of rules. The tape is divided into cells that can store symbols, and the head can read and write on the tape. The set of rules determines the machine's behavior, such as moving the head or changing the symbol on the tape.

3. What is binary addition?

Binary addition is a mathematical operation that involves adding two binary numbers (numbers in base 2) together. It follows the same rules as decimal addition, but with only two possible digits, 0 and 1.

4. How can a Turing Machine perform binary addition?

A Turing Machine can perform binary addition by using its tape to store the two binary numbers and following a set of rules to add them digit by digit. The machine will move its head and change the symbols on the tape according to the rules until the addition is complete.

5. Why is programming binary addition with a Turing Machine important?

Programming binary addition with a Turing Machine is important because it demonstrates the capabilities of the machine in performing complex computations and shows the fundamental principles of computing. It also serves as a theoretical basis for modern computer programming and can be used to develop more advanced algorithms and systems.