Blended metal bullets; much heat after impact? Can anyone tell me?

In summary, the conversation discusses the existence and effectiveness of "blended metal" bullets, which are claimed to penetrate body armor and cause massive soft tissue damage. However, the existence of these bullets is questioned, with some sources claiming that they are purely fictional and others suggesting they may be similar to frangible bullets. The conversation also mentions videos and reports of these bullets being used in Iraq and sold to the military and contractors, but the validity of these claims is questioned. Ultimately, the conversation concludes that until proven otherwise, the idea of these super-powerful bullets is simply a myth and unlikely to be found in small-arms ammunition.
Scotius
"Blended metal" bullets; much heat after impact? Can anyone tell me?

These bullets supposedly will penetrate body armor, but not drywall, and are alleged to pretty well explode when going through flesh. I've read a report by a contractor who used one in Iraq and said the soft tissue damage caused by it was massive. Now, my question is this; would this bullet release a lot of heat after impact, if the claims that it explodes in the body are true? I have a good reason for asking this, and if I get a good verifiable answer, the person who provides it may become at least semi-famous, depending on a few external factors not under my control - but it's POSSIBLE. Oh, I know you physics types don't crave fame, but a little recognition for a good cause couldn't hurt, could it?

Science news on Phys.org

How confident are you in the veracity of your source? From everything that I have ever been able to find, "fused-alloy" bullets are a purely fictional creation from the writers of "CSI: Miami". All bullets consist of some sort of alloy; even the ones that are intended to be pure lead have impurities. The kind that you refer to, however, simply doesn't exist.

The closest thing is called a "frangible bullet". They don't explode, they simply disintegrate upon impact, more or less. The primary purpose is to prevent over-penetration or ricochet.

Quite right, Pantaz. My personal favourite is the Glaser. (My home-designed version, however, uses a coiled-up strand of bathtub bead chain in place of the birdshot. :devil:)

Danger said:
How confident are you in the veracity of your source? From everything that I have ever been able to find, "fused-alloy" bullets are a purely fictional creation from the writers of "CSI: Miami". All bullets consist of some sort of alloy; even the ones that are intended to be pure lead have impurities. The kind that you refer to, however, simply doesn't exist.

I read a post on Usenet a couple years back or so about one contractor's use of a "blended metal" bullet, and he said the soft tissue damage was unbelievable. I've also seen videos on YouTube featuring them being test fired. It's explained somewhat how they work. I'm not talking here about simple frangible bullets, like the ones in use in the M-16/A-1 and A-2 series, but ones that pretty well explode in soft tissue. The bullets' makers are producing videos showing their usage, and they're selling to the military apparently, as well as "contractors" in Iraq, so there must be some merit to their claims. In any case, they were certainly be easy for anyone who could debunk them to do so; if you offer to validate their claims and they refuse, they're fakes, and they know that so I don't think they're selling hokum. I'd just like to know how they work and if they create a lot of heat after impact.

No offense intended, but again I question your sources. Unless someone is willing to test-fire these things against human-analogue targets in the presence of myself or trusted individuals such as Turbo, Astronuc, or Ivan... I call ********. Nothing other than a micro-fused explosive round can penetrate body armour and then expand to devastating levels in the tissue behind it. While theoretically possible, it is not going to appear in small-arms ammunition. That is in anti-tank territory. Until proven wrong, I stand by my assertion that someone is snowing you.

edit: The ******* above was originally a synonym for "bovine excrement". That autocensor is irritating. :grumpy:

Last edited:

Danger said:
No offense intended, but again I question your sources. Unless someone is willing to test-fire these things against human-analogue targets in the presence of myself or trusted individuals such as Turbo, Astronuc, or Ivan... I call ********. Nothing other than a micro-fused explosive round can penetrate body armour and then expand to devastating levels in the tissue behind it. While theoretically possible, it is not going to appear in small-arms ammunition. That is in anti-tank territory. Until proven wrong, I stand by my assertion that someone is snowing you.

edit: The ******* above was originally a synonym for "bovine excrement". That autocensor is irritating. :grumpy:

I don't work for them danger, and I appreciate your honesty. I won't bother you again unless I find something convincing about it or some new information.

1) It was no bother.
2) I didn't mean to imply that you were a shill for the company. Rather, someone else is spreading misinformation which you believed.
3) By all means, feel free to alert me to anything of significance that you run across. Although it might not have seemed like it, I'm keeping an open mind; I just doubt very much that anything you find is actually valid as opposed to someone presenting fiction as fact. A lot of honest people believe "urban myths", so it's no bad comment about you.

The myth of super-powerful bullets is just that. If there was any truth behind the snake-oil, Remington, Winchester, Western, etc would be clamoring for market-share. They are not.

1. What are blended metal bullets?

Blended metal bullets are a type of ammunition that is made by combining multiple types of metal, such as copper and tungsten, in order to create a bullet that is stronger and more effective than traditional bullets.

2. Why is there so much heat generated after impact with blended metal bullets?

The heat generated after impact with blended metal bullets is due to the high velocity and energy transfer upon impact. The materials used in blended metal bullets are also known for their high melting points and ability to retain heat, contributing to the heat generated.

3. Are blended metal bullets more effective than traditional bullets?

Yes, blended metal bullets are generally considered to be more effective than traditional bullets due to their increased strength, accuracy, and penetration power. They are also less likely to deform upon impact, making them more reliable and consistent.

4. Are blended metal bullets more expensive?

Blended metal bullets can be more expensive than traditional bullets due to the cost of the materials used and the specialized manufacturing process. However, the increased effectiveness and reliability may be worth the extra cost for some users.

5. Are blended metal bullets legal?

The legality of blended metal bullets varies by country and jurisdiction. In some places, they may be restricted or prohibited due to their increased lethality and potential for causing harm. It is important to research and understand the laws and regulations in your area before purchasing or using blended metal bullets.