Help with Basic Concepts in Thermodynamics

In summary, the concept of temperature is related to the translational kinetic energy of molecules and does not include rotational or vibrational energy. For a single molecule, temperature is not defined, but for a large population of particles in thermal equilibrium, temperature can be measured through the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution. The total internal energy of a gas includes different forms of energy such as translational, rotational, vibrational, and potential energy from intermolecular forces.
spartan711
Hi Everyone, quick intro. I am taking thermodynamics (chemical engineering style, college) and am just generally confused by the concepts such as T, U, H, S, fugacity, etc, so I decided to revise my understanding and work my way up from classical physics. and I need some help with that. I will update this post every time a concept is made clear. The way I propose to understand these concepts are simple thought experiments, and then put these concepts in different examples.

1. Temperature (?)

What is temperature? Building on my previous knowledge from high school physics and college physics, the temperature of a molecule is proportional to the translational kinetic energy of the molecule. This does not rotational energy. But does this include vibrational energy? What type of energy does this include if at absolute zero there is supposed to be zero energy (besides quantum)?

2. Energy (?)

Assuming a single molecule flying around in some fixed volume V, how many different forms of energy are present? Assuming no change to the mass, or actual molecule?

Mass energy - mc^2 , Do not consider (DNC)

Bond energy - energy stored in bonds, defined by bond-enthalpy, (DNC) (includes torsional forces)

*I have read in a Material Science Engineering journal that increasing temperature stresses the bonds in molecules. What is the mechanism for this? It was for color changing materials.*

Vibrations of the molecule - defining vibrations as movement from one axis to the opposite axis from the center of the molecule (not intermolecular stretching).

Rotation of the molecule - rotating about the center of mass of the molecule. This is important for atoms, but I am not sure about molecules.

Translational motion - analgous to drift velocity of an electron. Assuming constant velocity, the velocity away from the center of the molecule.

These are all the energies I can think of. Now, of these energies, which contribute to temperature, and which contribute to internal energy? (I am aware of that for an ideal gas, internal energy is a function of temperature, but I am just trying to be as general as possible)

Pressure, enthalpy, and entropy will be followed up as soon I understand the above concepts. Thank you for all your help!

Science news on Phys.org
spartan711 said:
1. Temperature (?)

What is temperature? Building on my previous knowledge from high school physics and college physics, the temperature of a molecule is proportional to the translational kinetic energy of the molecule. This does not rotational energy. But does this include vibrational energy? What type of energy does this include if at absolute zero there is supposed to be zero energy (besides quantum)?
Temperature is a measure of the total translational energy of the molecules. For an ideal gas this is fairly straight forward. It does not include rotational or vibrational energy because these do not, overall, move the centre of mass of the molecules or of any two colliding molecules ie. it does not impact average translational energy of the molecules. But for a solid, the vibrational energy of the molecules does affect the translational energy - the motion of the centres of mass of the molecules, since they are all pushing against each other.

AM

Thanks for responding AM. I don't think I'm ready to consider liquids and solids yet, as they have intermolecular forces that I haven't really thought about. But your explanation does make sense initially.

So, if temperature is proportional of translational energy, then for our single molecule, its T would be defined as
[tex]
T=(mv^2)/3k
[/tex]

Extending this to many identical molecules (like an ideal gas), the T would be
[tex]
T=(mv^2_{avg})/3k
[/tex]
, where
[tex]
v_{avg}
[/tex]
can be determined from a Boltzmann velocity distribution.

Now, if there were several different molecules (a mixture of ideal gases), the T would be the average of
[tex]
\frac{2*KE_{avg}}{3k}=T
[/tex]
Where the KE of each particle could be calculated with appropriate Boltzmann distribution curves.

Is all the above correct?

For Internal Energy, going back to the one molecule example, what types of energy (from my list) would have to be considered?

be warned: I will soon attempt to understand where blackbody radiation comes from. Although I will probably wait until I fully understand entropy. :)

Last edited:
spartan711 said:
Thanks for responding AM. I don't think I'm ready to consider liquids and solids yet, as they have intermolecular forces that I haven't really thought about. But your explanation does make sense initially.

So, if temperature is proportional of translational energy, then for our single molecule, its T would be defined as
[tex]
T=(mv^2)/3k
[/tex]
No. T is a statistical concept that requires a large number of particles, all in thermal equilibrium. Temperature of a single molecule is not defined. Temperature is defined by the Maxwell-Boltzmann distribution that a population of particles in thermal equilibrium has. It is the point on that curve (speed v. no.) that divides the area under the curve into two equal parts (equal numbers of molecules with speeds higher and lower).

Extending this to many identical molecules (like an ideal gas), the T would be
[tex]
T=(mv^2_{avg})/3k
[/tex]
, where
[tex]
v_{avg}
[/tex]
can be determined from a Boltzmann velocity distribution.

Now, if there were several different molecules (a mixture of ideal gases), the T would be the average of
[tex]
\frac{2*KE_{avg}}{3k}=T
[/tex]
Where the KE of each particle could be calculated with appropriate Boltzmann distribution curves.

Is all the above correct?
[itex]<KE_{tr}>_{avg-i} = kT/2[/itex] for each translational degree of freedom. A molecule has 3 translational degrees of freedom, so the total translational average KE is:

[tex]<KE_{tr}>_{avg-total} = 3kT/2[/tex]

This is NOT the total internal energy of the gas. It is the total (internal) translational kinetic energy.

AM

Hello! It's great that you are working to revise your understanding of thermodynamics. I can help clarify some of the concepts you mentioned.

1. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of particles in a system. This includes both translational and vibrational kinetic energy, but not rotational energy. At absolute zero, there is still some vibrational energy present due to quantum effects.

2. In a fixed volume, a single molecule can have several forms of energy present, including mass energy (mc^2), bond energy, vibrational energy, rotational energy, and translational kinetic energy. These energies contribute to both temperature and internal energy, but the specific contributions may vary depending on the system.

Regarding your question about increasing temperature and bond stress, this is due to the increase in molecular motion and collisions at higher temperatures, which can lead to stretching and bending of bonds. This can also affect the color of materials as the energy of the bonds changes.

Pressure, enthalpy, and entropy are all related to the internal energy and temperature of a system. Pressure is a measure of the force exerted by particles on the walls of a container, enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a system, and entropy is a measure of the disorder or randomness of a system. I suggest looking into the equations and definitions for these terms to better understand their relationships.

I hope this helps clarify some of the basic concepts in thermodynamics. Keep up the good work in understanding the fundamentals of this important field!

1. What are the three laws of thermodynamics?

The three laws of thermodynamics are:

• First law: Energy cannot be created or destroyed, only transferred or converted from one form to another.
  • Second law: The total entropy of a closed system will always increase over time.
  • Third law: As temperature approaches absolute zero, the entropy of a perfect crystal will approach zero.

2. What is the difference between heat and temperature?

Heat is the transfer of thermal energy from one object to another due to a difference in temperature. Temperature is a measure of the average kinetic energy of the particles in a substance.

3. How is enthalpy related to internal energy?

Enthalpy is a measure of the total energy of a thermodynamic system, including internal energy and the energy required to create or destroy the system's volume. In other words, enthalpy is equal to the internal energy plus the product of pressure and volume.

4. What is the difference between an isolated, closed, and open system?

An isolated system does not exchange matter or energy with its surroundings. A closed system can exchange energy, but not matter, with its surroundings. An open system can exchange both matter and energy with its surroundings.

5. What is the significance of the Carnot cycle in thermodynamics?

The Carnot cycle is a theoretical model of a heat engine that operates at maximum efficiency. It serves as a benchmark for comparing the efficiency of real-world heat engines and provides insights into the limitations of thermodynamic processes.