How to calculate gravitational force?

In summary, the universal gravitational constant G is 6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1. This number represents the strength of the gravitational force between two masses. The gravitational force between two masses is strongest if the masses are close together, and decreases as the distance between the masses increases.
mdmaaz
What is the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two objects of a given mass? It's a really simple question. But I'm just a thirteen year old who desperately wants to know.

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks, I can understand gravity so much more better now!

What do the letters in the formula stand for? Would really appreciate it if you tell me.

Gravitational Constatant

I know the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two masses. In the formula "G" means gravitational constant. The gravitational constant is 6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1. But what does "6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1 mean"?
I would really appreciate it if give me an example of calculating gravitational force between two objects.

mdmaaz said:
I know the formula for calculating the gravitational force between two masses. In the formula "G" means gravitational constant. The gravitational constant is 6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1. But what does "6.67E-11 m3 s-2 kg-1 mean"?
I would really appreciate it if give me an example of calculating gravitational force between two objects.

Hey, mdmaaz.

The units of the universal gravitational constant G, N m^2 kg^-2, N is shorthand for Newtons, the measure of force. m is for metre, kg is for kilogram. The units can sort of be thought as being the way they are due to the units of the other variables in the equation.

F(gravity) is the force due to the gravitation attraction between the two object. G is the universal gravitational constant. m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects between which the gravity is acting (for example, between the Earth and your body). r is the distance separation between the two objects (notice that Earth pulls on you much more then saturn does, despite saturn's much larger mass!) .

Here is a quick example of finding the gravitational force between two objects.

Let's say that object 1 has mass m1=10kg and that object 2 has mass m2=25kg. If they are 10m apart, then the force is given by (from hyperphysics)
gravf.gif

F=(6.67*10^-11*10*25)/10^2

F=1.668*10^(-9)N

Thanks "Disconnected"! You're awesome dude. I can finally understand how to caclulate gravitational force.

What is gravitational force and why is it important?

Gravitational force is the attractive force between two objects with mass. It is important because it is responsible for keeping the planets in orbit around the sun and objects on Earth from floating away into space.

What is the formula for calculating gravitational force?

The formula for calculating gravitational force is F = (G * m1 * m2) / r^2, where F is the force, G is the gravitational constant, m1 and m2 are the masses of the two objects, and r is the distance between them.

How does distance affect gravitational force?

The force of gravity decreases as the distance between two objects increases. This is because the gravitational force is inversely proportional to the square of the distance between the objects.

What is the unit of measurement for gravitational force?

The unit of measurement for gravitational force is Newtons (N). This is the same unit used to measure other types of forces.

Can gravitational force be negative?

Yes, gravitational force can be negative. This means that the force is acting in the opposite direction, such as when two objects are moving away from each other or when the force of gravity is being canceled out by another force.