So the tables have turned What does that mean?

• Thread starter maverick_starstrider
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mean
In summary, the phrase "turning the tables" means taking control of a situation by changing the playing field.
maverick_starstrider
"So the tables have turned!"... What does that mean?!

Seriously, what is the origin of this phrase? Is it like one of those rotating tables at dim sum, or does "turning" mean flipping over like in a gun fight? I don't know. My best guess is it's referring to gambling when there's like a losing blackjack table or something and then a person suddenly starts winning... Anyone know the origin of this phrase? Wait, is it, again at a gambling table, when the dealer and the player switch (since the position is allocated on the table)?

Physics news on Phys.org

When I was improving my chess game, I often played with my friend's brother, who was a genius at the game. He would get an advantage on me in materials and/or position, then turn the table (switch the board to swap our positions) to see if I understood how to exploit the situations that he had set up. It was quite a good way to learn under "live fire", as opposed to studying books on chess theory.

turbo-1 said:
When I was improving my chess game, I often played with my friend's brother, who was a genius at the game. He would get an advantage on me in materials and/or position, then turn the table (switch the board to swap our positions) to see if I understood how to exploit the situations that he had set up. It was quite a good way to learn under "live fire", as opposed to studying books on chess theory.
Me too. When I found myself losing, I would just turn the table thus ending the game and maintaining my undefeated status.

turbo-1 said:

I'd love to play with a grand master who would do this once per game :D

1. What does the phrase "the tables have turned" mean in everyday language?

In everyday language, the phrase "the tables have turned" means that a situation has changed dramatically, often in an unexpected way. It can also refer to a reversal of fortune or power dynamics.

2. Is "the tables have turned" a commonly used idiom?

Yes, "the tables have turned" is a commonly used idiom in English, often used in casual conversation or writing to describe a sudden change in a situation.

3. Where did the phrase "the tables have turned" originate?

The phrase "the tables have turned" originated from the game of chess, where the position of the chess pieces on the board can drastically change the outcome of the game. It has since been used in various contexts to describe a significant change or reversal.

4. Can "the tables have turned" be used in a positive or negative context?

Yes, "the tables have turned" can be used in both a positive or negative context. It can be used to describe a positive change, such as overcoming an obstacle, or a negative change, such as losing power or control.

5. Are there any similar phrases to "the tables have turned"?

Yes, there are several similar phrases to "the tables have turned" such as "the tide has turned," "roles have reversed," or "the shoe is on the other foot." These phrases all convey a similar meaning of a significant change in a situation.