Why are moving objects blurred in a camera?

• Thread starter CyberShot
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Camera
In summary, camera photos appear blurred when capturing a fast-moving object due to the finite exposure time and the movement of the object across the surface of the film or CCD. This is also why telescopes need to track objects in the sky and why indoor photos tend to be more blurry with cheaper cameras. Sports photography often uses large lenses to capture enough light in a short amount of time to prevent blurring.
CyberShot
Forgive me if I'm missing something truly basic about photography, but I always wondered why camera photos appear blurred if the object's moving fast.

Isn't the speed of light large enough where, even if the object is moving rapidly, the time it takes to reach the object is negligible compared to the object's velocity?

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
Sure, but cameras don't take pictures instantly. A CCD chip, for example, integrates an exposure over a finite time interval. A typical shutter speed is something like 1/60th of a second I believe.

So if at the beginning of the exposure, the subject is on the right hand side of the field of view and is moving to the left, the light the subject emits will initially be dumping photons on the right hand side of the CCD chip. However, as the subject moves, photons will begin dumping themselves towards the left hand side. This creates a blurry image.

This concept is VERY apparent in astronomy and is why telescopes must do what is called 'tracking' in order to have imagines that are worth something. The dimmer the object you want to see, the longer the exposure. So if you want to see an object that is so dim that it requires a 10 minute exposure time (very common!), you have to have the telescope track objects in the sky so that it rotates with the rotation of the Earth. If you just let the telescope sit there, over the 10 minutes the star in question will move along the field of view and instead of depositing photons in a small, concentrated area of the chip (giving a crisp, clean image), it'll trail off as the Earth rotates, dumping photons in a wider area making it very blurry.

The amount of blurring depends on the time of exposure versus how far an object's image moves across the surface of the film (or ccd's if it's a digital camera). Depending on shutter movement, you can also get "curved" images if different parts of the image are taken at different times. The shorter the duration in exposure time and/or the slower the object image is moving, the less blurry the image.

Pengwuino said:
A typical shutter speed is something like 1/60th of a second I believe.

Probably shorter ("faster" in photographer-speak) than that. I don't know the typical shutter speed for simple point-and-shoot cameras, but with my digital SLR I use 1/250th of a second or shorter in daylight. I use 1/60th or longer only in outdoor twilight, or indoors without flash.

Excellent answer by Pengwuino.

That's why indoor photos tend to be more blurry with a cheap automatic camera. There is less light indoors, so the camera leaves the shutter open longer to get enough light to form an image, but this gives a longer window in time for the subject to move, causing blurring.

And that's why in sports photography they have camera that resenble tank barrels due to their large lens sizes...so they can gather enough light in a short enough time that the subject won't move enough to cause any blurring.

1. Why do moving objects appear blurred in a camera?

Moving objects appear blurred in a camera because the camera's shutter speed is not fast enough to capture the object in motion. When an object moves, it creates a trail of motion that the camera captures in one frame. This results in a blurred image.

2. Can I prevent moving objects from appearing blurred in my photos?

Yes, you can prevent moving objects from appearing blurred in your photos by using a faster shutter speed. This will freeze the motion of the object and result in a sharper image. You can also use a tripod to stabilize your camera and reduce camera shake, which can also contribute to blurred images.

3. Why do some cameras have a "sports" or "action" mode?

Cameras have a "sports" or "action" mode specifically designed for capturing moving objects with a faster shutter speed. This mode adjusts the camera's settings to capture fast-moving objects with minimal blurring.

4. Can I use a flash to prevent blurred images of moving objects?

Using a flash can help reduce the appearance of blurred images of moving objects, but it may not completely eliminate it. The flash can freeze the motion of the object, but the background may still appear blurred if the shutter speed is not fast enough.

5. Why do some photographers intentionally blur moving objects in their photos?

Some photographers intentionally blur moving objects in their photos to create a sense of motion and add a dynamic element to their images. This technique is often used in sports photography or artistic photography to convey a sense of speed or energy.