Professor not willing to send letter of rec

• Thread starter csdude15
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Professor
In summary, the professor I've been working with told me that he won't be able to write me a letter of recommendation because he already wrote one for someone else.
csdude15
Hi all,

I asked the professor I've been working with if he's willing to write a letter of recommendation for me (I'm applying to REU programs). He agreed and I've submitted two applications so far(one at my current university where I'd be working with him, and one at a different university). He told me he isn't willing to recommend me to any other REU programs.

Can anyone explain to me why?? He already has the letter written, so it's not like it would be too time-consuming to submit the letter.

Physics news on Phys.org
Unless your professor happens to be on this forum, I don't exactly understand why you think we'd be able to explain this. Why don't you just... you know, ask him?

Frankly, Why do you want a rec letter from someone who refuses to send one? It doesn't look like it will be a good rec letter.

Pyrrhus said:
Frankly, Why do you want a rec letter from someone who refuses to send one? It doesn't look like it will be a good rec letter.

I've been working with him for a whole semester and he's the one that encouraged me to apply to summer research programs.

csdude15 said:
Hi all,

I asked the professor I've been working with if he's willing to write a letter of recommendation for me (I'm applying to REU programs). He agreed and I've submitted two applications so far(one at my current university where I'd be working with him, and one at a different university). He told me he isn't willing to recommend me to any other REU programs.

Can anyone explain to me why?? He already has the letter written, so it's not like it would be too time-consuming to submit the letter.

Possibilities:
- He's really expecting you to get (and take) the one working for him.
- If you've ever written reference letters before, you'll know that even if it seems like a matter of putting a different name and address on a generic letter, if often isn't. If you actually want the student to be successful, you need to look up the program he or she is applying to and say something intelligent about why you feel the student is particularly fitted for that program/course/scholarship/etc. That takes time.
- There could be political reasons that you're not aware of. Maybe he has had students in the past persistantly requesting letters and to be fair about the whole think he has a self-appointed rule that everybody gets two and that's it.
- Perhaps he doesn't hold you in that high regard and maybe you don't want him sending out reference letters on your behalf.

Obviously, he's the only one who can give you his true reasoning.

Choppy said:
Possibilities:
- He's really expecting you to get (and take) the one working for him.
- If you've ever written reference letters before, you'll know that even if it seems like a matter of putting a different name and address on a generic letter, if often isn't. If you actually want the student to be successful, you need to look up the program he or she is applying to and say something intelligent about why you feel the student is particularly fitted for that program/course/scholarship/etc. That takes time.
- There could be political reasons that you're not aware of. Maybe he has had students in the past persistantly requesting letters and to be fair about the whole think he has a self-appointed rule that everybody gets two and that's it.
- Perhaps he doesn't hold you in that high regard and maybe you don't want him sending out reference letters on your behalf.

Obviously, he's the only one who can give you his true reasoning.

Thanks for your response. Would it be rude to ask him?

csdude15 said:

Maybe, Maybe not. It depends on how well you know him. We do not know him.

In my opinion, if a professor refuses to write a recommendation letter, I would just find another professor that knows me well. Do not think Why this happened to me?, this is not so uncommon. It depends on a combination of the quality of your work, the personality of the professor, and many other factors. Choppy provided a reasonable list of reasons. However, we can only guess why.

If I were to hazard a guess, VERY SPECULATIVE GUESS, it seems that He is a tad selfish, and probably He wants you to stay and finish some more of his research work.

csdude15 said:
No, not if you do it in a nice way. Make sure you heard him right (you can even ask if you heard correctly that he doesn't want to write a rec), then ask him if he'd share his reasons with you.

I have sometimes declined to write a recommendation when I don't think the candidate's work for me was very good. I always tell them my reason, but it's awkward and maybe this prof just couldn't bring it up.

1. Why is the professor not willing to send a letter of recommendation?

The reasons for a professor not being willing to send a letter of recommendation can vary. They may not feel that they know you well enough to write a strong letter, they may be too busy to take on additional tasks, or they may have concerns about your academic performance or behavior.

2. What should I do if my professor refuses to write me a letter of recommendation?

If your professor refuses to write you a letter of recommendation, the first step is to respectfully ask for the reasons behind their decision. If it is due to concerns about your academic performance or behavior, try to address those issues and improve. If the professor is too busy, consider asking another professor or mentor who knows you well and can write a strong letter.

3. Can I still apply for a program or job without a letter of recommendation from a professor?

It depends on the specific requirements of the program or job. Some may require a letter of recommendation from a professor, while others may accept letters from other sources such as employers or mentors. It is important to carefully review the application requirements and ask if alternative letters are acceptable.

4. How can I improve my chances of getting a letter of recommendation from a professor?

Building a strong relationship with your professors is key to getting a good letter of recommendation. Attend their classes regularly, participate in discussions, and approach them for help or advice. Also, be sure to give them ample time to write the letter and provide them with necessary information such as a resume and personal statement.

5. Is it appropriate to ask a professor for a letter of recommendation via email?

It is generally considered more respectful and professional to ask for a letter of recommendation in person. However, if you are unable to do so due to distance or other circumstances, it is acceptable to ask via email. Just be sure to be polite, clear, and provide all necessary information and materials.