Charge distribution over a solid conductor

In summary, the video discussed charge distributions over solid conductors, specifically a heart-shaped conductor that was positively charged. The lecturer explained that when the conductor is touched, the charge would distribute itself non-uniformly over the surface. This is because there is no charge inside the conductor, and as a human is a conductor, the charge would flow through the body and to the Earth. However, this is only possible if the body is in contact with a grounded conductor. Otherwise, the charge would distribute itself on the surface.
CAF123
Gold Member
I was watching a video on the internet about charge distributions over solid conductors. The solid conductor was heart shaped which was positively charged. The lecturer in the video said that when you touched this conductor, the charge would distribute itself non-uniformly over the surface of the conductor. I understand why non-uniformly, however, why would the distribution be on the surface?

I know why there is no charge inside (explained via Gauss) but wouldn't when I touch it, because humans are conductors, the charge would simply flow through my body and down to earth?

Why is this not the case? When you are discharging an object, you just touch it with a conductor to transfer the charge.

Many thanks.

EDIT: Would it help if I provided the link to the video?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
You are making the assumption that you are grounded. Pretty much the only way you can have the charge flow through your body to the Earth is if your body was in contact with a grounded conductor.

I see. So if I was standing on some conducting object then charge would flow to earth. If I am not, then the charge would distribute itself on the surface if we are concerned with conductors.

1. What is charge distribution over a solid conductor?

Charge distribution over a solid conductor refers to the way electric charges are distributed over the surface of a solid material. This distribution is important in understanding how electricity flows through a conductor.

2. How is charge distributed over a solid conductor?

The charge on a solid conductor is distributed evenly over the surface of the material. This means that the charge density, or amount of charge per unit area, is the same at all points on the surface.

3. What factors affect charge distribution over a solid conductor?

The charge distribution over a solid conductor can be affected by the shape, size, and material of the conductor. For example, a larger conductor will have a greater surface area for charges to distribute over, while a more conductive material will allow charges to move more easily.

4. How does charge distribution affect the behavior of a solid conductor?

The charge distribution on a solid conductor affects its electric field and the way that electric charges move through the material. In a conductor, charges are free to move, so the distribution of charges can impact the flow of electricity through the material.

5. Can the charge distribution over a solid conductor be changed?

Yes, the charge distribution on a solid conductor can be changed by applying an external electric field. This can cause the charges to redistribute themselves and change the overall behavior of the conductor.