Concepts simplified through math

• Thread starter axmls
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Concepts
In summary, yes, most of the concepts in early undergraduate-level physics become much easier after having been exposed to more advanced math.
axmls
I've just finished my first calculus-based physics course along with calculus II. Having taken a non-calc-based physics class in high school, I've noticed that the equations behind kinematics, work, energy, etc. become a lot more intuitive with a knowledge of calculus. I was wondering if there were any other (early undergraduate-level) physics concepts that become a lot more intuitive after having been exposed to more advanced math.

Physics news on Phys.org
Pretty much all of them get easier with better maths - that is what a lot of the advanced maths was invented to do.
OTOH: this means that more tricky concepts can be described... so the maths goes back to being hard.

Yes, absolutely. The more math you know the easier physics gets. The easier physics gets the harder the problems you can try to solve. The harder the problems become the more advanced the math required to solve them. And so on...

a good level physics is incomplete without calculus,kinematics good (lengthy) problems i feel are worthless without calculus.
in fact whole physics one'll study will have some calculus in it.
you may need to take differential elements to calculate COM, in RBD , can't miss electrostatics etc...

axmls said:
I've just finished my first calculus-based physics course along with calculus II. Having taken a non-calc-based physics class in high school, I've noticed that the equations behind kinematics, work, energy, etc. become a lot more intuitive with a knowledge of calculus. I was wondering if there were any other (early undergraduate-level) physics concepts that become a lot more intuitive after having been exposed to more advanced math.

What a refreshing attitude. You have clearly seen the light. We get so many requests on these forums to give what is referred to as a 'proper physical explanation' which doesn't use Maths. Much of the language of Maths was developed in the context of what goes on in the real world and it is very well suited to helping our understanding. Rejecting Maths is rejecting the best tool there is to describe most of Physics.

1. What is the purpose of simplifying concepts through math?

The purpose of simplifying concepts through math is to make complex or abstract ideas easier to understand and apply. By using mathematical principles and equations, we can break down complex concepts into smaller, more manageable parts, making them more accessible to a wider audience.

2. How does math help to simplify concepts?

Math helps to simplify concepts by providing a universal language and set of tools for analyzing and breaking down complex ideas. It allows us to represent ideas in a more tangible and concrete way, making it easier to visualize and understand the underlying principles.

3. Can anyone understand concepts simplified through math?

Yes, anyone can understand concepts simplified through math. While some mathematical background may be helpful in understanding more complex concepts, the use of math to simplify ideas is meant to make them more accessible to a wider audience. With some effort and practice, anyone can understand and apply these concepts.

4. Are there any limitations to using math to simplify concepts?

Yes, there are some limitations to using math to simplify concepts. Some ideas may be too abstract or complex to be fully represented through mathematical equations. In addition, not all concepts can be simplified through math, as some may require a more qualitative approach to fully understand.

5. Can concepts simplified through math be applied to real-world situations?

Yes, concepts simplified through math can be applied to real-world situations. In fact, the goal of simplifying concepts through math is to make them more applicable and useful in real-world scenarios. By breaking down complex ideas into smaller, more manageable parts, we can better understand and apply them to real-life situations.