Register to reply

Concepts simplified through math

by axmls
Tags: concepts, math, simplified
Share this thread:
axmls
May17-14, 05:30 PM
P: 13
I've just finished my first calculus-based physics course along with calculus II. Having taken a non-calc-based physics class in high school, I've noticed that the equations behind kinematics, work, energy, etc. become a lot more intuitive with a knowledge of calculus. I was wondering if there were any other (early undergraduate-level) physics concepts that become a lot more intuitive after having been exposed to more advanced math.
Phys.Org News Partner Physics news on Phys.org
Mapping the optimal route between two quantum states
Spin-based electronics: New material successfully tested
Verifying the future of quantum computing
Simon Bridge
May17-14, 08:02 PM
Homework
Sci Advisor
HW Helper
Thanks
P: 12,466
Pretty much all of them get easier with better maths - that is what a lot of the advanced maths was invented to do.
OTOH: this means that more tricky concepts can be described... so the maths goes back to being hard.
dauto
May17-14, 08:15 PM
Thanks
P: 1,948
Yes, absolutely. The more math you know the easier physics gets. The easier physics gets the harder the problems you can try to solve. The harder the problems become the more advanced the math required to solve them. And so on...

namanjain
May18-14, 02:46 AM
P: 69
Concepts simplified through math

a good level physics is incomplete without calculus,kinematics good (lengthy) problems i feel are worthless without calculus.
in fact whole physics one'll study will have some calculus in it.
you may need to take differential elements to calculate COM, in RBD , can't miss electrostatics etc....
sophiecentaur
May18-14, 05:05 PM
Sci Advisor
PF Gold
P: 11,942
Quote Quote by axmls View Post
I've just finished my first calculus-based physics course along with calculus II. Having taken a non-calc-based physics class in high school, I've noticed that the equations behind kinematics, work, energy, etc. become a lot more intuitive with a knowledge of calculus. I was wondering if there were any other (early undergraduate-level) physics concepts that become a lot more intuitive after having been exposed to more advanced math.
What a refreshing attitude. You have clearly seen the light. We get so many requests on these forums to give what is referred to as a 'proper physical explanation' which doesn't use Maths. Much of the language of Maths was developed in the context of what goes on in the real world and it is very well suited to helping our understanding. Rejecting Maths is rejecting the best tool there is to describe most of Physics.

Register to reply