Quastion about K-points and energy cutoff

In summary, the person is asking for advice on the relation between K-points and energy cutoff in theoretical calculations using DFT. They mention using GaAs for accurate results and also ask about the difference in K-point requirements for insulators, semiconductors, and metals. They also mention using a manual for more information and discuss the use of periodic boundary conditions and the number of k points needed for insulator and atom/molecule calculations.
omaralrawi
Dear All,

I have three questions about the relation between the K-points and energy cutoff. The first one is : how many k points should I use in my theoretical calculation to get a good result in lattice constant and the converge of Emin especially for using DFT? The second one is : What is the relation in K-point and energy cutoff and is there any equation that can I use to describe this relation? How can I calculate this relation for graphene?

I have used in my calculation GaAs to gain an accurate result.

Regards.

Likes Cindy ChemComp
Physics news on Phys.org
Which software are you using? Seems like planewave based DFT calculation, I guess.

(1) if using pseodupotential, then less K points can be used as compared with all-electron calculations. For VASP and insulator calculation, 4*4*4 might be good enough. Of course you can always use more K points to test K point convergence. You can refer to the vasp manual to find more information

(2) Energy cutoff has nothing to do with K point. Energy cutoff is related to so-called G points, plane wave basis, and their relationship is simply E_cutoff=h_bar^2 G_cutoff^2/2m_e.

(3) Energy cutoff is different from the dispersion relation relating K to E. Energy cutoff in a DFT software is more a technical trick than a physically meaningful quantity.

bsmile said:
Which (1) if using pseodupotential, then less K points can be used as compared with all-electron calculations. For VASP and insulator calculation, 4*4*4 might be good enough.

Here is a question making me feel puzzled.
Actually,I don't know very clear why 4*4*4 might be good enough for insulator,especially for atomic or molecular system,generally, 1*1*1 is enough.
For k points (lowercase,k),it should perform the periodic boundary condition. In my opinion,the number of k points is just equal to N1*N2*N3. Whatever the system is insulator or molecular,they need to be calculated through periodic boundary condition (for molecular,say,supercell).
Because the calculation is always made in a primitive cell (or,supercell),in other words, the number of k points stands for the number of primitive cells. But ,Why should the number of k-points for metals be more than insulator or semicoductor ? And why 1*1*1 for molecular (just one k point)?

The VASP software manual might address your question better. For insulator, there is no band around Fermi surface, thus K space sampling can be sparse.

For atom and molecule calculation, you do only need 1*1*1 with a very big unit cell, which means two nearby atoms/molecules are separated faraway such that their interaction is tiny. Why 1*1*1 is enough is because the K dependence of density/wavefunction/potential has very weak dependence on K (imagine the dispersion for a single atom in K space, which is basically flat).

I think lowercase k in your language is similar to G in my language (VASP). We might use the same uppercase K to denote crystal momentum within the 1st Broullin zone.

1. What are K-points and how do they affect calculations?

K-points, also known as k-mesh points, are a set of specific points in the Brillouin zone used to sample the electronic structure of a material in calculations. The number and distribution of K-points can greatly affect the accuracy and efficiency of the calculations.

2. How are K-points chosen in calculations?

The choice of K-points depends on the symmetry and size of the material being studied. There are various methods for choosing K-points, such as the Monkhorst-Pack method, which takes into account the symmetry of the material, or the Gamma-centered method where all K-points are centered at the Gamma point.

3. What is the significance of the energy cutoff in K-point calculations?

The energy cutoff, also known as the plane wave cutoff, is the maximum kinetic energy allowed for the electronic states in the calculations. It determines the number of plane waves used to describe the electronic wavefunction and affects the accuracy of the results. A higher energy cutoff leads to more accurate results, but also requires more computational resources.

4. Can K-point and energy cutoff values be optimized for different materials?

Yes, the optimal values for K-points and energy cutoff can vary depending on the material being studied. It is important to choose these parameters carefully to balance accuracy and computational efficiency. Some materials may require a higher energy cutoff due to their complex electronic structure, while others may be accurately described with fewer K-points.

5. Are there any software tools available to help with K-point and energy cutoff selection?

Yes, there are various software tools and packages that can assist in choosing appropriate K-point and energy cutoff values. These tools take into account the material's symmetry and properties to recommend optimal values. Examples include the VASP package, Quantum ESPRESSO, and the Materials Project database.