Plus sign in triangle usage (or minus, times)

It would help to see the context in which these symbols are used. It's possible that they may not have been used elsewhere, or have a specific meaning within this particular paper. A textbook resource may be useful as well, but it may not have the exact same symbols. Thank you!In summary, the individual is seeking a paper or textbook resource where the "plus sign in triangle", "minus sign in triangle", and/or "multiplication sign in triangle" are used. They have encountered these symbols in a paper from the 80's, where they are used to act on an image, and are hoping to find them applied in other contexts. They also mention that a textbook resource may be acceptable, but it may not use
scop
Can anyone refer me to a paper where the "plus sign in triangle", "minus sign in triangle", and/or "multiplication sign in triangle" are used? I'm reading a paper from the 80's where these symbols act on an image ("internal law" and "external law"); however, I'd like to see the symbols applied elsewhere. A textbook resource is fine as well. Thank you!

Mathematics news on Phys.org
scop said:
Can anyone refer me to a paper where the "plus sign in triangle", "minus sign in triangle", and/or "multiplication sign in triangle" are used? I'm reading a paper from the 80's where these symbols act on an image ("internal law" and "external law"); however, I'd like to see the symbols applied elsewhere. A textbook resource is fine as well. Thank you!

It's difficult to decipher what these symbols mean. Can you provide a reference or a link to the paper in which you found them? Sometimes, authors create special symbols to express concepts which have otherwise not been explored.

1. What is the meaning of the plus sign in a triangle?

The plus sign in a triangle is used in mathematics to indicate addition. It represents the operation of combining two or more quantities to find their sum.

2. How is the plus sign used in geometry?

In geometry, the plus sign in a triangle is used to represent a line segment or vector that is added to another line segment or vector. It is also used to indicate the direction of a vector.

3. What is the significance of the minus sign in a triangle?

The minus sign in a triangle is used to indicate subtraction. It represents the operation of taking away one quantity from another to find their difference.

4. How is the minus sign used in trigonometry?

In trigonometry, the minus sign in a triangle is used to represent a negative angle or angle of rotation in the clockwise direction. It is also used to indicate the opposite or negative side of a triangle in relation to an angle.

5. What does the times symbol in a triangle mean?

The times symbol in a triangle is used to indicate multiplication. It represents the operation of repeated addition, where one quantity is added to itself a certain number of times.