Finding Resultant Resistance of Electrical Circuit - Gamma

In summary, the conversation revolved around finding the resultant resistance of a complicated electrical circuit. The speaker had tried using Kirchoff's law but found it to be complex and was looking for a simpler method. They eventually reduced the circuit to an equivalent resistance by replacing pairs of resistors in parallel or series. However, there was still one branch that could not be reduced using this method. Redrawing the circuit helped to simplify the problem and eventually led to finding the final equivalent resistance. The conversation ended with the speaker expressing gratitude for the helpful suggestions.
Gamma
I had a complicated electrical circuit which I was able to reduce to the following (attached). How do I go about finding the resultant resistance of this circuit? Is there a short way of doing this?

Thanks,

Gamma

Attachments

• Circuit.JPG
    Circuit.JPG
    5.9 KB · Views: 338
Physics news on Phys.org
Using Kerchoff's law would be complecated. I tried that. Did not proceed with the calculation. I am sure there is an easy way. If some body can show me how I would proceed that would be great.

Thanks.

I reduced it by allowing a known current (1 amp) to pass through the complecated circuit (not the R and 2R which is in series with the battory).

Finally I am getting a number which is 3R + 16/50 R.

For this problem, you should be able to replace a pair of resistors in parallel or series by its equivalent resistance. Continue this process until you end up with one equivalent resistance.

The circuit in the lower right hand coner seems that it can not be reduced using parallel/series method. If you look at a junction, For example the junction of 4R/3 and R/2 ( in the far right), the current does not simply divide between these two resistors. Rather the current at this juction sees 4R/3 in one branch and some other effective resistance in the other branch. So can I take 4R/3 and R/2 as parallel?

yes, but there's other resistors that should also be included.

A lot of times it helps to redraw this in a way that makes it easier to see each branch before trying to calculate anything.

From the positive terminal, you pass through a 2R resistor. Then you come to a junction that branches off. One of those branches is a straight line that goes to another junction. If you redraw this circuit, the straight line does you no good at all. What you really have is a junction with three different branches. Of the three branches, one has a resistor in series with two parallel resistors. The other two branches have one resistor each.

Once you reduce the more complicated branch down to one equivalent resistance, your problem gets a lot simpler. You'll have three resistors in parallel with each other.

And, of course, you finally go through one more resistor in series.

Thanks every one. Redrawing helped simplify the problem a lot.

Finally I am getting a number which is 3R + 4/25 R which is same as what I got before, but it took less time.

regards,

gamma

1. What is the purpose of finding the resultant resistance of an electrical circuit?

The purpose of finding the resultant resistance of an electrical circuit is to determine the total resistance that the current has to overcome in order to flow through the entire circuit. This is important in understanding the overall behavior and performance of the circuit.

2. How is the resultant resistance calculated?

The resultant resistance can be calculated by using the formula R = R1 + R2 + R3 + ..., where R represents the total resistance and R1, R2, R3, etc. represent the individual resistances of each component in the circuit. Alternatively, the parallel and series combination formulas can also be used to calculate the resultant resistance.

3. Why is it important to know the resultant resistance in a circuit?

Knowing the resultant resistance is important because it determines the amount of current that will flow through the circuit and the amount of voltage that will be used up in the process. It also allows for the proper selection and arrangement of components in the circuit to achieve the desired functionality.

4. Can the resultant resistance be negative?

No, the resultant resistance cannot be negative. It is a physical property of a circuit and represents the total opposition to the flow of current. It is always a positive value, even if the individual resistances in the circuit are negative.

5. How does the value of gamma affect the resultant resistance?

The value of gamma, which represents the ratio of the total resistance to the individual resistances in a circuit, can affect the resultant resistance by either increasing or decreasing it. A higher value of gamma results in a higher resultant resistance, while a lower value of gamma results in a lower resultant resistance.