Defining Torque: Why F*d? - 65 characters

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Torque
In summary, torque is defined as a quantity that causes rotational acceleration in an object and is represented by the equation \tau = F \cdot d, where d is the distance from the center of rotation. This definition is based on the principle of levers and has been experimentally proven to be accurate. The concept of rotational inertia, which is represented by the equation \int r^2 dm, is also a mathematical conclusion and does not have a physical meaning.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
We define torque as a quantity that tends to cause rotational acceleration in an object and that:

[tex] \tau = F \cdot d [/tex]

where d is the distance from the center of rotation.

My question is, why was it defined in this way in the first place?

It works, yes, but how did we know it'd work? Is it because toque is directly proportional to both d and f and the proportionality constant was experimentally proven to be 1? I was thinking there was more to it. Can someone please elaborate on this for me?

Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
We define torque as a quantity that tends to cause rotational acceleration in an object and that:

[tex] \tau = F \cdot d [/tex]

where d is the distance from the center of rotation.

My question is, why was it defined in this way in the first place?

It works, yes, but how did we know it'd work? Is it because toque is directly proportional to both d and f and the proportionality constant was experimentally proven to be 1? I was thinking there was more to it. Can someone please elaborate on this for me?
This also reminds me why rotational inertia is

[tex] \int r^2 dm [/tex]

Is this just a mathematical conclusion or it has physical meaning?:confused:

Inertia is a 4th dimensional property. It is just mathematical. B.T.W that is the polar mass moment of inertia, not rotational inertia.

To G01,

it is defined this way because anything that is NOT EXACTLY perpendicular to the body will NOT cause ANY rotation. Therefore, ONLY that definition holds true. You see, it makes no sense to have a need for a proportionality constant. How will it help? If you try to do an experiment to measure the torque, how will you measure the amount of torque? By using your equation you defined torque to be that's how! See my point? You can't just go and measure torque without first saying, this is what I will call torque.

Edit: Well,I guess one way you could verify it is if you put a torque on a wheel, and from that you can measure its angular acceleration, which would be a measurement independent of the definition of torque. From there, you should see values that match your equation, *if* your initial assumption of torque being t=fd was correct.

Last edited:
Inertia is a 4th dimensional property.
More precisely, inertia is the 4th moment of a mass distribution.

Not to my knowledge, its called the 2nd moment about an axis astronuc. Its a 4th dimensional property. :smile:

Last edited:

What is torque?

Torque is the measure of the force that can cause an object to rotate around an axis.

What is the formula for calculating torque?

The formula for torque is T = F * d, where T is torque, F is the force applied, and d is the distance from the axis of rotation to the point where the force is applied.

Why is the formula for torque F*d?

The formula F*d represents the cross product of force and distance, which is the mathematical way of calculating torque. It takes into account both the magnitude and direction of the force and the distance from the axis of rotation.

What are the units of torque?

The units of torque are newton-meters (N*m) in the SI system and foot-pounds (ft-lb) in the imperial system.

What is the importance of torque in physics?

Torque is an essential concept in physics as it helps us understand rotational motion and the behavior of objects that rotate. It is also crucial in many real-life applications, such as engineering and mechanics.