Do International Students Need Letters of Recommendation?

In summary, the rules for admission to most schools in North America, including Canada's UBC, Michigan State, Sandiego, and Berkeley, do not distinguish between international and non-international students. This means that if letters of recommendation are required, they are required for all students regardless of their nationality. International students may have to pay a higher application fee and meet certain minimum requirements, such as a subject GRE score of 850, but this varies from school to school.
EddieCrash
Most schools in North America need letters of recomendation, do international students need to also submit them?

4 schools I will apply: Canada's UBC (Yeah-- Vanqver -- I like citi libraries, so many, really like it). Michigan State, Sandiego, Berkeley. (I will add or omit some after you give me more advice. I like a gene pool with diversity to be admitted, straight before me the fact of life, we are human.)

What do you think ?

Physics news on Phys.org
The rules for admission do not distinguish between international and non-international students other than legal, visa matters. So if letters of recomendations are required, they are required no matter who you are.

Zz.

More or less, yes. International students usually pay bigger application fee, which is at UBC something like $120 for int. students - that's why I brought it up. Not that only this fee is relativiley (or ridiculouslly) high (considering other schools), they also have minimum for subject GRE which is 850, which is a really unique case as far as I can tell. So, Eddie, keep in mind these numbers :smile: .

1. Do international students need letters of recommendation to apply for universities?

Yes, most universities require letters of recommendation as part of their application process for international students. These letters provide insight into a student's academic abilities, personal character, and potential for success in their chosen program.

2. How many letters of recommendation do international students need?

The number of letters of recommendation required may vary depending on the university and program. Generally, most universities require 2-3 letters of recommendation.

3. Who should write letters of recommendation for international students?

Letters of recommendation should be written by individuals who know the student well and can speak to their academic abilities and personal character. This can include professors, employers, or mentors.

4. Are letters of recommendation required for all programs and universities?

No, some universities and programs may not require letters of recommendation. It is important for international students to check the specific requirements of the universities and programs they are interested in applying to.

5. Can international students submit letters of recommendation in a language other than English?

It is recommended to submit letters of recommendation in English, as it is the most commonly used language in academia. However, if the writer is not proficient in English, the letter can be translated and notarized. Some universities may also have specific requirements for translated letters of recommendation, so it is important to check with the university beforehand.