Electroplating Brass: A Mystery Unveiled

In summary, the other day I was at the store looking at some metal wall plates for light switches, they had all sorts of different types, Copper, Nickel, Stainless Steel, Chrome, …and “Brass plated stamped steel”. When I tried to research how this could be possible, I found that brass and some other alloys could be electroplated, but that others could not. I couldn't find any specifics on how the chemistry works.
mrjeffy321
Science Advisor
The other day I was at the store looking at some metal wall plates for light switches, they had all sorts of different types, Copper, Nickel, Stainless Steel, Chrome, …and “Brass plated stamped steel”.

How can it be possible to electroplate Brass onto something?
I understand how you can plate Copper or Tin or Silver, …., onto an object through the electrolysis of some solution containing those ions….but Brass?
Brass is not a pure metal; it is a mixture of Copper and Zinc. You cannot make a solution of Brass ions, only a solution of Copper and Zinc ions and then when you go to plate it out, shouldn’t it electroplate out as Copper metal and/or Zinc metal based on the Standard reduction potentials of the two elements?

The standard reduction potential of the Cu +2 ion to Copper metal is +.34 volts.
The standard reduction potential of Zn+2 ion to Zinc metal is -.76 volts.
These two values are a full 1.1 volts apart from each other, how can you plate them out together as Brass?

Chemistry news on Phys.org
Could it be that "Brass" really isn't being plated on, instead, the company plates on Copper first, then zinc, then does something to mix the two layers together?

I got this idea from here,
http://sciencefix.com/lessons_matter_and_chemical_reactions.htm
they [galvanically] plate out some Zinc onto a Copper penny, then heat it to make Brass.

Last edited by a moderator:
I tried researching this and found several sources that said brass and some other alloys could be electroplated, but that others could not. I couldn't find any specifics on how the chemistry works. I think that there is a priority list that determines which metals go into solution first. I know that when I electrolyze an American nickel, an alloy of copper and nickel, that the nickel goes into solution first and I am left with a copper coin.

1. What is electroplating brass?

Electroplating brass is a process in which a thin layer of brass is deposited onto a conductive surface, typically through the use of an electric current. This creates a more durable and visually appealing surface on the object being plated.

2. How does electroplating brass work?

Electroplating brass involves immersing the object to be plated in a solution containing dissolved brass ions. The object is connected to a negative electrode (cathode) and a brass anode is connected to the positive electrode. When an electric current is passed through the solution, the brass ions are attracted to the object and deposit onto its surface, creating a thin layer of brass.

3. What are the benefits of electroplating brass?

Electroplating brass can provide a variety of benefits, including improved corrosion resistance, enhanced durability, and a more visually appealing finish. It can also be used to restore or repair damaged or worn objects, as well as create decorative or functional coatings on objects.

4. What types of objects can be electroplated with brass?

Any object that is conductive and can withstand the plating process can be electroplated with brass. This includes metals such as copper, steel, and zinc, as well as non-metal objects that have been coated with a conductive layer.

5. Are there any environmental concerns with electroplating brass?

Electroplating brass involves the use of chemicals and electricity, which can have environmental impacts. However, many modern electroplating processes use more environmentally friendly solutions and techniques, such as using non-toxic chemicals and recycling wastewater. It is important to follow proper disposal methods for any chemicals used in the plating process to minimize environmental impact.