Build a Mouse Trap Car: Backwards Motion Help

• Thread starter Kerri23
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Car
In summary, the goal is to build a mouse trap car that can go 2m forward, pick up an object, and then go 2m backwards without being touched. The current design uses a string attached to the axle and the part that hits the mouse, but the issue is making it go backwards. Suggestions for alternative designs, such as using Velcro instead of the mechanical bits, are welcome. Only one mouse trap can be used for the project.
Kerri23
I am suppose to build a mouse trap car ...it must go 2m forward, pick up an object and go 2m backwards without me touching it. i can get it to go forwards and pick up the object but not backwards. my design is fairly simple..there's a string attached to the axle.. the other end is attached to the part that comes down on the mouse. you pull that part back and wind up the string by turning the axle back. when the part that hits the mouse springs forward, it unravels the string and spins the wheels. but i have no idea how to make it go backwards. ( it goes backwards if you wind it up the other way though)

any hot ideas would be appreciated.
-note: i can only use one mouse trap

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF, Kerri.
Have you considered devoting all of the mechanical bits to forward and backward propulsion, and simply Velcroing the 'mouse' and the front of your vehicle?
Keep in mind here that I think farther outside of the box than most. Rules can't be broken, but I like to bend them into the form of singularities. :biggrin:

Last edited:

One possible solution to make your mouse trap car go backwards is to add a ratchet mechanism to your design. This mechanism will allow the wheels to spin in one direction (forward) when the mouse trap is triggered, but will lock the wheels in place when the string is pulled in the opposite direction (backwards). This can be achieved by using a small gear attached to the axle and a pawl (a small lever with teeth) that will engage with the gear when pulled in the opposite direction. This will prevent the wheels from turning backwards and allow the string to wind back up, pulling the car backwards. You may need to experiment with the size and placement of the gear and pawl to find the right balance for your design. Good luck with your project!

1. How can I make my mouse trap car move backwards?

To make your mouse trap car move backwards, you will need to change the direction of the force applied by the mouse trap. This can be done by flipping the orientation of the lever arm or by attaching the string to the opposite end of the axle. You may also need to make adjustments to the placement and angle of the wheels to ensure they are able to roll backwards.

2. Why is my mouse trap car only moving forwards?

If your mouse trap car is only moving forwards, it is likely due to the direction of the force applied by the mouse trap. Make sure the lever arm is oriented in the correct direction and that the string is attached to the correct end of the axle. You may also need to adjust the placement and angle of the wheels to ensure they are able to roll forwards.

3. How can I increase the distance my mouse trap car travels backwards?

There are a few ways to increase the distance your mouse trap car travels backwards. First, make sure the wheels are properly aligned and lubricated for smooth movement. You can also experiment with different lengths and tensions of the string attached to the axle. Additionally, you can try adding weight to the back of the car to increase the force and distance traveled.

4. Is there a specific design or materials I should use for a mouse trap car that can move backwards?

There is no specific design or material that is necessary for a mouse trap car to move backwards. However, it is important to use lightweight and sturdy materials, such as balsa wood or cardboard, to ensure the car is able to move efficiently. You can also experiment with different designs and materials to find what works best for your specific car.

5. How can I troubleshoot issues with my mouse trap car's backwards motion?

If your mouse trap car is having trouble moving backwards, there are a few things you can check. First, make sure all parts are securely attached and that the wheels are able to rotate freely. You can also test the tension and placement of the string attached to the axle. If all else fails, try making small adjustments to the design and experimenting with different materials until you find a solution that works.