Effect of Material on Angular Momentum of a Pivoted Disc

In summary, the only difference between the two discs is the mass. If the mass is the same, then the angular momentum is the same.
denian
a thin metallic disc pivoted at its centre, and there is a resultant torque act on it. moment of inertia about its centre is 1.50 kgm2

if the metallic disc is replaced by another identical wooden disc, state qualitatively the effect on the angular momentum of wood.

my tutor told me that there will be no change in angular momentum. is he right?

Physics news on Phys.org
Originally posted by denian
The only difference would be in the material,
which implies mass. I can't say from that
question if it changed, but it seems like that's
what they're getting at. (Moment of inertia is in: kg*m^2/sec.)

Live long and prosper.

Originally posted by denian
A net torque produces a rotational acceleration inversely proportional to the moment of inertia. Did the moment of inertia change when you switched from a metal disk to a wooden one?

Moment of inertia depends on:
Shape/mass distribution (Disk versus rod, etc.; uniform density)
Size
Axis of rotation
Mass

Did any of these factors change?

If the two disks are identical in shape, then the angular acceleration produced by the identical torque on each will be inversely proportional to the mass. The angular momentum after the torque will be proportional to the mass. Yes, the angular momentum in each case will be the same.

The heavier (presumably metal) disk will accelerate more slowly than the wood disk, reach a lower final angular velocity, but, because of its greater mass, have the same angular momentum.

I just realized that the answer doesn't depend on the moment of inertia at all. The same torque for the same time produces the same angular momentum. (D'oh!)

In this case, only the mass changes. But it doesn't matter what changes, as long as the applied torque is the same. So the fact that the disc is "identical in shape" is irrelevant.

^^^^

true...

r x F =T

As T=Ia
Torue= Moment Of Inertia about axis of rotation x Angular acc.

Torque is same in both the cases.

But moment of inertia of both mentioned discs may be different.

Torque is constant ...so Ia should remain constant.

If I of new disc is more ...then angular acc. produced by same torque will be same and thus changes accordingly...

That sums it all up...

and ur proff.. is true man

Last edited:
thank you for all the explanation.

1. What is the difference between rotation and translation of a rigid body?

Rotation refers to the movement of a rigid body around a fixed axis, resulting in a change in its orientation. Translation, on the other hand, refers to the movement of a rigid body in a straight line without any change in its orientation.

2. How is the rotational motion of a rigid body described?

The rotational motion of a rigid body is described by its angular displacement, angular velocity, and angular acceleration. These quantities represent the change in orientation, rate of change of orientation, and the rate of change of angular velocity, respectively.

3. What is the moment of inertia of a rigid body?

The moment of inertia of a rigid body is a measure of its resistance to rotational motion. It is dependent on the mass distribution of the body and the axis of rotation, and is calculated by summing the products of mass and square of the distance from the axis of rotation for all particles in the body.

4. How does the rotational motion of a rigid body relate to its kinetic energy?

The kinetic energy of a rotating rigid body is equal to half of its moment of inertia multiplied by the square of its angular velocity. This means that the greater the moment of inertia or the angular velocity, the greater the kinetic energy of the body.

5. What factors affect the rotation of a rigid body?

The rotation of a rigid body is affected by its moment of inertia, the applied torque, and the distribution of mass in the body. It is also affected by external factors such as friction and air resistance. The shape and size of the body can also impact its rotational motion.