Can spacetime with a compact dimension be foliated into spatial hypersurfaces?

• Thread starter shoehorn
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Spacetime
In summary: Sigma\times I is diffeomorphic to \mathcal{M}.This is correct. A foliation is a precise definition of a spacetime topology that is determined by a single parameter, in this case the choice of embedding space.
shoehorn
I'm familiar with how one foliates, say, a four-dimensional spacetime [itex](\mathcal{M},g)[/itex] so that one can identify it as a sequence of spatial hypersurfaces [itex]\mathcal{M}\simeq\Sigma\times I[/itex] where [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is some spatial three-manifold and [itex]I\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]. However, suppose that we're interested in a spacetime which has at least one compact dimension. For clarity, let's look at

[tex]\mathcal{N} \simeq \mathcal{M}\times S^1,[/tex]

i.e., something like a Kaluza-Klein spacetime with one compact periodic dimension per spacetime point. Does anybody know if any work has been done on foliating a spacetime like this into spatial hypersurfaces? Is this even possible?

Physics news on Phys.org
Periodic directions?

Hi, Shoehorn, since you mentioned "spatial hyperslices", I take it that you have in mind a periodic timelike coordinate vector field. If so, consider Minkowski spacetime with [tex]t=0[/tex] and [tex]t=1[/tex] identified. Is that the kind of thing you have in mind?

Chris Hillman

Last edited:
Chris Hillman said:
Hi, Shoehorn, since you mentioned "spatial hyperslices", I take it that you have in mind a periodic timelike coordinate vector field. If so, consider Minkowski spacetime with [tex]t=0[/tex] and [tex]t=1[/tex] identified. Is that the kind of thing you have in mind?

Chris Hillman

No, not really. I probably should have been a little bit more specific. Let's take a, say, five-dimensional spacetime [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex]. I construct this spacetime so that it has the special property that, for some "standard" Lorentzian spacetime [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex], we can say [itex]\mathcal{N}=\mathcal{M}\times S^1[/itex]. Now let me propose that the compact dimension in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] is spatial, so that we can think of [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] as being essentially the same spacetime we encounter in Kaluza-Klein theory. I then have two questions about this spacetime:

(1) Does the presence of a compact spatial dimension in [itex]\mathcal{N}[/itex] present any obstacle to foliating it by spacelike hypersurfaces so that we have [itex]\mathcal{N}\simeq\Sigma\times S^1\times I[/itex], for [itex]I\subseteq\mathbb{R}[/itex]?

(2) If not, does anybody have a link to where this has been done in the literature? I find it hard to believe that somebody hasn't published something on this question, but can't seem to find anything.

Hi shoehorn,

Firstly, a foliation of spacetime is simply a choice of time coordinate with respect to which the hypersurfaces are surfaces of simultaneity. The topology of these hypersurfaces doesn`t matter. They can be noncompact or compact or some product that includes both types, which is the case in your own example MxS. So consider some particle in your example spacetime with M being three dimensional. To completely specify it`s position on the hypersurface at a specific time t requires both the coordinates [x(t),y(t),z(t)] for it`s position on M, and the coordinate s(t) of it`s position on the circle S. Thus the coordinates on MxS at time t are [x(t),y(t),z(t),s(t)] so that t parametrizes the foliation.

Last edited by a moderator:
josh1 said:
Hi shoehorn,

Firstly, a foliation of spacetime is simply a choice of time coordinate with respect to which the hypersurfaces are surfaces of simultaneity.

I'm going to be brutal here: the above statement is utterly, completely, woefully incorrect. A foliation of a spacetime [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex] is not simply some clever "choice of time coordinate" that gives you surfaces of simultaneity. A foliation of a spacetime is a very precise process whereby one can topologically identify the spacetime with, for example, [itex]\Sigma\times I[/itex], where [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is some spatial three-surface. There are, of course, other possibilities such as null foliations, but since in GR the most common one is as a foliation by three-surfaces that's the one I'll deal with here.

More precisely, the existence of a foliation is the same as saying that there exists some one-parameter family of embeddings [itex]\varphi_t:\Sigma\to\mathcal{M}[/itex], [itex]t\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]\Sigma\times I[/itex] is diffeomorphic to [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex]. Admittedly, the use of the subscript [itex]t[/itex] on the embedding is suggestive of some notion of "equal time hypersurfaces" but this is of course a matter of choice.

josh1 said:
The topology of these hypersurfaces doesn`t matter. They can be noncompact or compact or some product that includes both types, which is the case in your own example MxS.

Again, this is incorrect. Please, please, please, if this is your understanding of foliations of a spacetime, take a look at the (voluminous) literature. The review articles of Isham and Thiemann should be particularly suited to disabusing you of your confusion regarding the allowable topologies of the hypersurfaces and their relation to the topology of the spacetime.

coalquay404 said:
I'm going to be brutal here: the above statement is utterly, completely, woefully incorrect. A foliation of a spacetime [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex] is not simply some clever "choice of time coordinate" that gives you surfaces of simultaneity. A foliation of a spacetime is a very precise process whereby one can topologically identify the spacetime with, for example, [itex]\Sigma\times I[/itex], where [itex]\Sigma[/itex] is some spatial three-surface. There are, of course, other possibilities such as null foliations, but since in GR the most common one is as a foliation by three-surfaces that's the one I'll deal with here.

More precisely, the existence of a foliation is the same as saying that there exists some one-parameter family of embeddings [itex]\varphi_t:\Sigma\to\mathcal{M}[/itex], [itex]t\in\mathbb{R}[/itex] such that [itex]\Sigma\times I[/itex] is diffeomorphic to [itex]\mathcal{M}[/itex]. Admittedly, the use of the subscript [itex]t[/itex] on the embedding is suggestive of some notion of "equal time hypersurfaces" but this is of course a matter of choice.
Hi coalquay404,

Your remarks hold for the general notion of a foliation independent of any metrical structure on the space being foliated. In particular you draw attention only to the topological and differentiable structure. But we are talking about solutions of the gravitational field equations of general relativity so the additional stipulation that the hypersurfaces be surfaces of simultaneity is really just a statement about the physics. However...

coalquay404 said:
Again, this is incorrect. Please, please, please, if this is your understanding of foliations of a spacetime, take a look at the (voluminous) literature. The review articles of Isham and Thiemann should be particularly suited to disabusing you of your confusion regarding the allowable topologies of the hypersurfaces and their relation to the topology of the spacetime.

Certainly solutions of the gravitational field equations with positive and vanishing cosmological constants can be foliated by surfaces of simultaneity that are compact and noncompact respectively. But solutions with negative cosmological constants aren`t necessarily globally hyperbolic and may not admit the kind of foliations I was talking about, so perhaps I should've been more careful. It just seemed like shoehorn thought that compact components present some special problem with respect to foliations and I just wanted to get the message across that this wasn`t so. Sorry if I made your blood boil.

Last edited by a moderator:

What is a foliation of spacetime?

A foliation of spacetime is a mathematical concept used to decompose a four-dimensional spacetime into a set of three-dimensional hypersurfaces. These hypersurfaces are known as "spacelike slices" and represent snapshots of the universe at different points in time.

Why do scientists use foliations of spacetime?

Foliations of spacetime are useful for studying the evolution of the universe and the behavior of matter and energy within it. By breaking down spacetime into smaller, more manageable pieces, scientists can analyze and understand complex phenomena such as the expansion of the universe or the formation of black holes.

How are foliations of spacetime created?

Foliations of spacetime are created using a mathematical technique called "slicing", which involves slicing through spacetime along a particular set of geometric curves known as "time-like curves". These curves represent the paths of observers moving through spacetime and are used to define the three-dimensional hypersurfaces.

What is the significance of foliations of spacetime in general relativity?

In general relativity, foliations of spacetime are important for understanding the mathematical structure of the theory and its predictions. They are also used in the study of gravitational waves and the behavior of matter in strong gravitational fields.

Can foliations of spacetime be visualized?

Yes, foliations of spacetime can be visualized using computer simulations and graphical representations. These visualizations can help scientists and students better understand the complex geometry and dynamics of spacetime in general relativity.