Permanent Magnets: Find Net Force Acting on Assembly

In summary, the conversation discusses the use of magnets for a project involving a windmill. The person is trying to find the net force acting on a magnet in a levitated state and is looking for guidelines for further reading and hints for the calculation strategy. They also mention the possibility of using a passive magnetic bearing for the windmill. The conversation ends with the person thanking for the help and mentioning their goal of reducing energy loss in the windmill.
specificio

Hello!

I have a deeply magnetizing question. I have an attractive magnetic assembly and I am interested in finding some forces, acting on its parts.

Set-up details ( if to be specific ):

I have two cylinder-shaped neo magnets with identical dimensions and properties, such as residual induction, dimensions, mass, etc.

I fix both of 'em as shown in the attachment A1.gif below. M1 is fixed on the ground, M2 can only move thru Y-axis. M2 is attracted by gravity, but hangs in the air because of the repulsive force between those two.

Target:
I have to find the net force in Newton units, acting on M2, thus it's being fixed in its levitated state and doesn't move. The sticky point is that I want to design a magnet, which will hold another one at certain air gap, but for this purpose a horse, pardon, a force value needed.

What I do know:
I know nothin' about it, as the school project has just begun; this is my first week with permanent magnets. So my questions to you:

• Could you provide me with any ( specific ) guidelines for further reading? Google did not help me a lot in this case.
• or, could you give me some kind of hint for the strategy of calculation, which I should follow?
• How the Magnetic Flux Density ( induction ) of a given magnet does relate to the resulting force?
• I have gotten a link to so-called "magnetic moment" or torque as a force expression, but it just doesn't make sense, I am not sure it's what I need. Is it?

I’m totally lost in this forest. Any help would be appreciated.. ..even if there are no threes.

Lyric notes:
When I’m talking about induction, I visualize the following calculation in my mind: see att. A2.gif
The purpose of this project is to develop ( OK, to try to develop ) a magnetic ( frictionless ) bearing for the windmill. It is interesting to check – will it work or will it not do so.

Attachments

• A1.GIF
    A1.GIF
    5.6 KB · Views: 467
  • A2.GIF
    A2.GIF
    6.9 KB · Views: 453
Physics news on Phys.org
All right, thank you for the help, I'll take a look at it. :redface:

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Now I understand..

I've found most of the needed literature, and will make sure not to repeat this kind of mistakes in the future.
Thank you for the right kick!
I.L.

Last edited:
AlephZero said:
Magnetic bearings certainly exist. They are usually called "Active Magnetic Bearings" or AMB's. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnetic_bearing

Thank you, A. Zero.
It is a very good information to start with. My current point of view is, that AMB's need an energy source, and therefore they are likely not to become useful in a windmill, because it is a bit risky and can cost a lot, if it fails.

I'm trying to find out, what a PMB*[1] might be able to do. There is a tricky problem of fixed magnetic configuration, and some calculations have to be performed on this basis. So I am searching for the basic "rules" for the game, so to speak, because I am startin' from the beginning.

What our group wants to do - is to allow a windmill to start at lower wind speeds due to reduced energy loss by using a frictionless PMB assembly, and if we can't build it, we will model it. Inspiration came from energybulletin.net, or more precise, from http://www.worldwatch.org/node/4217" - the difference is, that we want to build and test our own.I.L.

*[1] Passive Magnetic Bearing.

Last edited by a moderator:

What are permanent magnets?

Permanent magnets are objects made of magnetized material that produce their own magnetic field. They can attract or repel other magnets and certain metals without the need for an external power source.

How do permanent magnets work?

Permanent magnets work by aligning the atomic magnetic domains within the material in the same direction, creating a net magnetic field. This field can then interact with other magnetic fields, causing attraction or repulsion.

What is the net force acting on an assembly of permanent magnets?

The net force acting on an assembly of permanent magnets depends on the strength and orientation of each individual magnet. The overall net force can be calculated by adding up the forces of each magnet using vector addition.

How do you find the net force on an assembly of permanent magnets?

To find the net force, you first need to determine the strength and orientation of each individual magnet in the assembly. Then, using vector addition, you can add up the individual forces to find the overall net force acting on the assembly.

What are some real-world applications of permanent magnets?

Permanent magnets have many practical applications, such as in electric motors, generators, speakers, and hard drives. They are also used in medical devices, such as MRI machines, and in various industrial and scientific equipment.